How to choose a bottle?

I haven't had my 2nd baby yet, but want to know how you chose bottles for your babies. I breastfed my first and he would never take a bottle. I plan to breastfeed my second as well, but I now have a part-time job and will have to have this baby take a bottle on occasion. I don't know if I should just buy one of every kind until I find the one that the baby likes, or what. I would hate to invest in a bunch of bottles that my baby won't use. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Blakesmommy0907

Asked by Blakesmommy0907 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am nursing my youngest and he gets an occassional bottle that I pump.
    I bought one bottle of one kind...the playtex airvent. He tried it..he wouldnt take to it. So I bought a different kind..again..only one and that one, he took to better than the first so then I bought another one and thats all he has.
    Its just about trial and error.
    Buy one that you like...try it...if it doesnt work, then try buying another kind. Don't waste your money buying a bunch of different ones all at once.
    Good Luck!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I breastfed all 5 of mine, but with my 4th and 5th I supplemented with a bottle. The lactation consultant in the hospital recommended and gave me a couple Avent bottles, so that's what I used with both of them. They had no problem going back and forth between breast and bottle, even from birth.

Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Dr.browns they are the best!!!
    Sexyfox09

Answer by Sexyfox09 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I used Dr Browns and Born free,, my son never had an issue taking those.. good luck..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Kimberly hit it right on the head. Baby will determine the choice. Some will take anything, others will be particular.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• You might get some sample bottles in all of those freebies that they give you at the hospital- usually with a canister of formula, too. But it is better to buy one of the bottles you want to use before you go out and buy a bunch of them only to find out baby hates them. Or if you have friends with babies borrow bottles to try from them to figure out what your little one prefers. I used Avent for my daughter and she didn't have much trouble going between breast and bottle.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I plan on using tommee Tippee bottles.. but only cause my fiance went through all the nipples in the store comparing them to mine when "hard" lol he says those are the closest to mine.
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 2:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2011