What beliefs are you forcing on your kids?

A lot of people say that they raise their children to be whatever religion they are. I have to ask why? Why does your child have to be a certain religion just because you are? Did you not have a choice about what religion you are or are not? I am going to teach my child about every religion so that when it comes time for him to make a decision he has an educated one instead of a biased one. I don’t understand how people WANT their children to be raised closed minded!
I am writing this in response to a post about death that I read. A mother wanted to know how to teach her child about death, but refuses to “lie” about heaven. Why does it have to be a lie? Why can’t you say “Well, mommy and daddy believe this, but some people believe this. It is up to you to decide you what you feel is right.”
I guess what I am saying is why do we force our own beliefs down our children’s throat without exploring other ideas as well.

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 1:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

• People want thier kids to be the religion they are because they believe it is right! Of course if they think a certain religion will save thier childs soal they will want that for them. I am teaching my daughter both christianity and tolerance. I think schools should teach general religion classes to give kids perspective on all beliefs.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I really don't think a parent forces beliefs, it is guiding and presenting, a child will choose ultimately what he/she wants to believe.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I am not raising my children in any religion. But I think it makes sense that many people would want to raise their children in their religion. For those who see religion as something which dictates not only whether or not you have a good life but whether or not you have a good afterlife, it's easy to see why they would want their children to have those blessings.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• As a parent I "force" for lack of a better word all types of things on my kids that give them the foundation to make good choices for themselves when they get older: good nutrition, education, manners, traditions, respect, healthy habits, good grooimg and yes- even religion- why would anyone not "force" positive influences on their children- ?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'm not forcing my views on them, and I have no problem teaching them that some people believe some things and other people believe different things. At this age though, they are too young to understand the difference between fact and fantasy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• A person's religion is the foundation of their moral fabric. It's as much a part of their upbringing as teaching them right from wrong & their abc's.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I take my children to church with me, I teach them what I believe, when they are old enough to understand I will let them explore if they want to. I don't think I want to FORCE my beliefs on anyone, But I believe that because they are my children I can and will teach them what I believe and they can make their choice from there when they are old enough.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

I agree with this too. Force is a bad word for it though- more like guide or teach. But exactly, when your children are small we teach them all those things. Some people believe eating junkfood is right and eating healthy is wrong, so, does that mean it should be up to the child to decide? No, as a parent you do what you know is right for your child. The same is true with religion & beliefs, you teach/guide them your beliefs when theyre young. Its up to them ultimately to make their final decision later, but atleast youve done your part as a parent by showing them one belief.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I don't think it's possible to teach my child about every religion - there are just too many out there to explore in a lifetime! I also believe my child's soul is at stake, so why wouldn't I teach them about what I believe? I can't physically force them to be the same religion I am, but I can make sure they know enough about it to make an informed choice about whether it's something they choose for themselves or not when they are older.
    I don't want them to be judgemental about people that feel differently. As a very conservative Christian, I know what I believe but am not judgemental about people that believe something different. I have friends of many different faiths and it's not an issue. They know what I believe, I know what they believe, and I love them anyway! I don't believe teaching my children about my faith will make them closed minded. They already have friends that believe differently from us - no big deal.

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The only "belief" that will be mandatory for my child is the respect he will have for his fellow man. I also hope to help him cultivate a genuine passion for discovering the truth for himself, thinking things through, really trying to understand the world around him. But in terms of which theology I hope he believes, I don't care. I'm going to educate him on and expose him to the various religions of the world (as much as is in my power/ability) and let him make his own decision. I only care that he understands what he accepts and rejects, and that he has respect and compassion for all people regardless of what they believe. I care a lot more about him being a responsible, respectful, compassionate person than I do about which path resonates most with him. As long as he's happy with his spirituality I will be happy for him.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011