In your opinion..whats a good age for the children to be for mommy to go back to work part/full time?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I got myself a part time job when my youngest went to Jr. high and even then I made sure that I was always available for picking him up and taking him to school and any other school activity I volunteer for.

Answer by older at 3:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I don't plan on returning to work even part time until my kids are in school. Even then, I plan on being home by the time they are. I think it's important for a parent to be home when the kids are - mom or dad.

Answer by missanc at 2:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• For me, I don't want to be working until my kids are in college. There are so many times when my mom and dad couldn't make it to things because of work. Days I didn't eat lunch because I didn't bring money and forgot my lunch. Days when I had no one to come get me when I was sick for a few hours.

It is important for me to be available at all times, even when they are in high school. My mom and dad didn't get to see me receive an award for being one of the "top 10" sophomores in high school (and there were nearly 400 sophomores in my class that year). They were disappointed, and I felt like I was getting the short end of the stick.

If I did have to work, then I would. But we cut back on needs, cut out extras and make due with what we have so I can do that. I know it doesn't work that way for everyone, but this is what works for me and my family.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 2:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• 6 to 8 weeks MINIMUM. If mommy needs to put food on the table and pay a mortgage, and the only way she can is to work, then that's what has to be done.

If a mother can afford to take longer, that would be great. I've been able to take an entire year off with my 2nd child. With my first, I had no choice but to return to work when she was 6 weeks old.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well for me I want to go back to work as soon as my kids start school but if I need to get a job sooner I will.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• For a single mom, sure, that is good KairisMama. what is wrong with being a SAHM/ if the world is so competitive that only work is the way to get sanity, what does that do to the dad? What about when the dad has a mom whose beat to a pulp tired, and has to do the extras because dad is lazy or he's..... "would-you-just-do-it-happy'??? Most men that are working don't contribute to the home, unless another member is home, they'll make them do it.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It depends on if you can handle staying at home with the kids! lol I've got 3 between 5 and 2. I wish I could go back to work I'm pulling my hair out! lol
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Full time school for me my oldest is 4 and in preschool and then I have a 1 year old so I won't go back for awhile.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Part-time work I will say about 2 -3 years and full-time work I would say about 5 years old when they are in school.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I returned to work when my kids were 3 months. I had to. But I wish I was home. Even with all 3 kids in school full time, I miss so much. I am missing a Brownie meeting today, school plays, helping in the classroom. Driving to after school hockey practice. There is no good time to go back to work. I think the kids need you more once they start school.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011