Is it better to have income to have things, or have less and be a sahm?

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 2:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• It's an individual thing. For me, it's more important to be a SAHM. Sometimes I see things and think "if only I were working . . ." but I know at the end of the day I am making the right choice for my family.

Answer by missanc at 2:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Depends on what you mean by that. If we can get by with one income and have the the things we need but not the wants. I will remain a SAHM. But if you want the extra then people can get a job to cover those cost.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It would all depend on what "things" you mean. Food, clothes, medical care, no.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• As a SAHM I've learned to live with out certain things such as pedicures, shopping sprees, eating out constantly, vacations (only 1 a year now). But we never go with out any thing we need. I'm very happy being a SAHM...that's what's important to me.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I don't think either is better than the other. I have been in both situations, and I've been a WAHM... If you're being a SAHM is stopping you from having things you need - like clothing, shoes or food, then it's the more hurtful of the two choices. On the other hand, if working means that your children are being raised by "the help" and see you only a few hours a week or month, then all the money in the world isn't worth what they are missing.

What is best for you and your family is what is better - there isn't a simple blanket answer to a question like this.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i have all the things i need and i am a sahm. an income would not make me nearly as happy as i am now. we do just fine on my husbands income.

so it depends on your personal situation i guess, and what you consider to be important.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Do you have abilities to earn a living if anything happens to your mate? (Heaven forbid) At least have an occupation you can fall back on IF anything should happen to him or his job. Maybe work part-time, giving you a little extra cash and still have time with the kids.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 2:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think whatever works for the family as long as the kids arent suffering then its fine to do either.. Im lucky that we can do it on one income and I can be a SAHM
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I love staying home! I'd rather have less stuff and more time with my kids.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 2:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i'm a sahm, material THINGS do not matter to me, we're not rich but not hurting for anything either...all the bills are paid and our kids get fed 3 meals a day and then some we may not get to go out and buy stuff all the time but i'd much rather be here watching my kids grow than to have a house full of STUFF
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011