Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 Bumps

Help Me Please!!! Update

My Beloved Husband went heaven on February 4th 2011. I am so confused and nervous,I'm trying my best to be strong for children and grandkids. I can't eat,sleep. I know there are things I should be doing.I just don't know where to start. For instant do I call all creditors? Do I change names on cars? Please help me,it hurts so bad. My DH was a great man,who loved me and our children. He would hire and give young and old men jobs. So many people have shown me support,everyone keep saying,"it will get better"

Thank you ,to all of you for your support,prayers,words of comfort. I was blessed by all of your answers. I'm in counseling for bereavement,and financial support. I was so surprised at the support my daughter's school offerred her and our family. My church,neighbors,and of course our daughters have been a true blessing. Thank you again,and may GOD bless each of you.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

Answers (11)
  • I am so sorry for you loss! Yes, you will need to call creditors, banks, anything that has his name on it. Most will want a copy of the death certificate.

    Answer by cheekycherub at 2:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • I am sorry for your loss. Now might be the time to contact a lawyer. He/She can guide you properly. Let the lawyer handle the heavy stress for you.

    Answer by zebbiebug at 2:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • im sorryPlease make 2 phone calls before you worry about taking care of all the other things.  1st call to a therapist, your clergy, or a support group- to help get you thru this horrible time.   2nd phone call to a lawyer to help you with all the estate "stuff",  I wish you the support & strength you will need to get thru this.  Take care of yourself.  God bless.


    Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • I'm sorry for you're loss. Just take it one day at a time and don't worry about all the details too much. They need to get done but don't let them get you anxious. I'd also get a lawyer to sort it all out. If that's not an option, can your chidren help with some of the estate stuff? They can maybe send the proper correspondence to creditors and the like and you might just have to sign something (not for sure how it all works). I lost my dad last year and that was really hard for my mom to do everything herself. When my dh lost his mom and he was the beneficiary, he took it to a probate lawyer and that seemed much easier. From what you describe your dh seemed like an amazing, wonderful man who will surely be missed. One way I find comfort is knowing that I will see my dad and all the loved ones I've lost again & also that they are enjoying being with our Father and Savior. Take care sweet sister :)

    Answer by kittieashy at 3:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • You don't have to tell the creditors or the DMV. They don't care. They will just tell you that you are responsible for everything now. The only person I see that needs to be told is SS if he got that and his insurance co. You don't need a lawyer. The executor of the will should have done everything for you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • So sorry for your loss. I agree with what zebbiee said. Take it slow and don't let it overwhelm you. You're going through enough right now.

    Answer by jilligan362 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • I am so sorry for your loss. First thing you need to do is take care of yourself. Get someone to help you sort the financial situation, such as an estate or even a probate lawyer or accountant. Either one should help you with creditors as well as insurance, annuity, pensions and the like.
    Take your time Mama but get someone to help you sort things out. You need time to mourn and take care of yourself.

    Answer by pnwmom at 6:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss. May God bless you and keep you, comfort you and give you peace. Let yourself mourn and get help dealing with these things.

    Answer by the_kimmers at 8:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • So sorry for your loss. Notify social security, any insurance companies, creditors, banks etc etc. As already mentioned most will want a copy of the death certificate. Switch any bills utility, water, mortgage,car loans, phone to your name. It will get easier, but you need time. (((hugs))

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • I am so sorry for your loss. I will pray for you. Can you ask your adult children to help you with some of the things that need to be done? Maybe then it won't be quite so overwhelming. {{HUGS}}

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.