3.5 month old has eye gunk, help!!

she woke up this morning and it was all over her eyes, thick, gooey, green gunk. I am fixing to take her temp when i get done feeding her in a minute but i was concerned about the eye gunk. anyone know what causes it?

burtney0921

Asked by burtney0921 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• more then likely nothing she may have just got something in her eye that bothered it. if shes not running a fever and her eye isnt majorly red its ok if her eye is red and the goop keeps up all day she may have a stye infection its no big deal call your dr he will decide if you should bring her in or not sometimes they give you a ointment to put in her eye twice a da. my son got them a couple times. use a warm rag to remove the goop.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• could be a blocked tear duct. my daughter has that. just wipe it with a warm rag and massage that spot between the eye and her nose. don't freak out, it's ok. The doc might give you some cream for it if you're that worried.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My daughter had that til she was 4 yrs old. It's a clogged tear duct. When they have a cold it gets worse. I BF her so everytime she nursed, I would massage it and it eventually goes away, but nothing to worry about. A lot of babies have it. It doesn't interfere with their ability to see, etc.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It could be from Pink eye. I'd call your nurse line. If it is pink eye (conjunctivitis) it's really contagious, and not fun when grown ups get it - my husband and I have both had it - yuck!
    mnrock

Answer by mnrock at 11:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Could be pink eye. Call the doc. There's not usually a temp with it, but it could be associated with an ear infection. Just depends on the cause.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I called and made an appt. for her at 2:00 today. thank you ladies!
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Call the ped...

Im sure its just irritated she could have poked it,.

take a warm cloth wipe her eye...
    and take a q-tip warm water..and dip it in the water...softly get the gunk off the SIDE of her eye not in her eye!
    just where you would get sleepies,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It wouldnt be GREEN GUNK if she just irritated it. Its either a blocked tear duct (which can come and go until she is 1), or it is conjunctivitis.... which requires an antibiotic ointment from Ped. Either way I would give her doc a call.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2008