Maybe OCD or Autism?

I don't know if it is possible to tell this early...my daughter is only 10 months old.
She can sit for hours it seems looking at her books. She can flip through the same book for 15 minutes then she moves on to the next one. She gets angry when you try to put them up. She will not play with her toys, or she seems very uninterested in them. She has these moments of being transfixed by things like certain commercials or sounds.

Any ideas or advice?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 2:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's way too early to tell. Relax!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Geez. She is a *B*A*B*Y*. Yeah, what you described is normal.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• hmm...I have the exact opposite problem, my son won't let me finish a page in book for him. Like mompam said, I think it's too early to tell anything, just relax. If you still have questions at her next check up, bring this up to the pediatrician.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• sounds normal! my dd loves to look at her books!!! we watch an hour of tv everyday so she loves to watch mickey mouse club house she dances to the hot dog dance lol! ur dd sounds fine dont worry!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Too early to tell.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It could just be a phase. Once my DD developed the ability to separate and turn the pages by herself she would sit in her crib and read quietly for long periods of time. At other times does your daughter engage in other forms of play? Does she interact well with people, like laugh and smile and babble at you? How long has the reading been going on? If it's been a short time I would just keep an eye on it, in a week or two she could be onto something else for long periods of time. She may just have the type of personality that is very intensely focused on whatever new skill she is learning at the time. I would watch her behavior and mention what you notice to your pediatrician (mabye sooner rather than later if her next appt is not until the 12 month visit) but it is possibly just her way of doing things. It could be something else but don't read too much into it, just be a faithful observer and take good notes. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If you are really worried I would ask your pediatrician. My son would find things very fascinating and was relentless about new found skills and do it over and over again. Seems like you found two things on a check list to watch out for and its gotten to you. Keep an eye on her and ask a pro what they think but it sounds more like OWM (overly worried mommy)
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• That sounds like pretty normal behavior. Speaking with a pediatrician about Autism Spectrum Disorder wouldn't hurt. You can also find lots of accurate information online about ASD to help you know what typical ASD behaviors are. OCD can't be diagnosed for a very long time. People with OCD develop compulsive behaviors to deal with obsessive thoughts. Essentially, babies won't be having obsessive thoughts and won't be having any thought processes such as "something bad will happen to me if I don't flip this page 5 times in a row."
    MathairMeg

Answer by MathairMeg at 1:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2011