What is a child called when his mom was not married when giving birth to him.

why is Bastard such a bad word?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• Because I don't think people connect that meaning to the word!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• becuz way back when a mother gave birth to child while not married they called them a bastards child.
    i dont know that its a bad word id just becareful when you use it. i refrain from using it myself just becuz some people do get offended from it,. now days we dont care if your mother was married when she had you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• well at first i was thinking "love child": love child :
    NOUN: A child born of parents who are not married to each other.

but if it is bastard : bastard   
    –noun 1. a person born of unmarried parents; an illegitimate child.
    2. Slang. a. a vicious, despicable, or thoroughly disliked person: Some bastard slashed the tires on my car.
    b. a person, esp. a man: The poor bastard broke his leg.

i guess we all use it in different ways and meanings
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Why should it be called anything other than, you know, a CHILD.

screw trying to label a child as something else because their parents aren't married. WTF is wrong with people. what century are we in again?
    LizzieyTish

Answer by LizzieyTish at 11:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• a child
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It's the mother's child, who gives a crap if she's married?

Bastard has a negative connotation with it. I will take SERIOUS offense to ANYONE that calls my daughter a bastard child. Call her one. I dare you.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• A child
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It's still a child. It's just that in the olden days it was taboo to have sex much less a child out of wedlock. Times sure have changed. Can't say it's for the better, though.
    Anonymous

• I still think its very tacky for a child to be born out of wedlock. A child is the ultimate committment, not a document saying you are married. If you marry and divorce before children, you can go your separate ways and never speak again. If a child is involved, you will see that person for the rest of your life, or at the very least know where and what they are doing in their lives. I wouldn't label a child with the name 'Bastard' but it means what it means.
    Anonymous

• It's a child plain and simple. If someone ever called my child a bastard I would seriously hurt them.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2008