Democrats want the government to shut down

Maybe not out loud but of course they do. They would love to be able to blame it on the Republicans and hope for a repeat performance. Do you think it would bring the same results?
They will not agree to anything the Republicans put out in their budget and will not vote for any of their amendments and yet the Dems will blame the Republicans. Not surprising but do you think it will go down that way?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• well i seem to remember the republicans doing the same to the democrats they all have their own agenda
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I can't imagine they would want it shut down - otherwise they would be out of a job. I guess, being an eternal optimist, that I believe the two parties can come to some sort of agreement on major issues.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• – collapse

Republicans want it shut down just as before, they also want to keep unemployment high ..better for them in the election. Thats why they said they would come into office and be ALL about JOBS JOBS JOBS.....instead they start trying to change the definition of rape...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I've been streaming talk radio for a few hours and conservatives are wanting it to, saying that it is better than the compromise. I know alot of people who in the past said, when the governemnt did briefly shut down, paychecks still went out and were cashed. what's the point? I don't really care if it shuts down, I kinda wish it would for about 2 years.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "Democrats want the government to shut down"

Do you have a source for this?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The last time it happened the republicans lost many seats. Why would they NOT want to shut it down? Guess yo goals don't remember that. They are not worried about their jobs. They will still get their money and they only want it to go long enough to make everyone mad at Republicans. It would be better if the Democrats gave in but they don't plan on doing that. Personally I have no problem shutting it down and waiting to see who blinks first.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "The last time it happened the republicans lost many seats. "

Even without a shutdown, a flip in seats is pretty much the normal order of things. I think BOTH sides want the government shut down.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Republicans want it shut down just as before, they also want to keep unemployment high ..better for them in the election. Thats why they said they would come into office and be ALL about JOBS JOBS JOBS.....instead they start trying to change the definition of rape...

***

WTF are you rambling about now?!

Besides I seem to recall OBAMA saying for the third year in a row that THIS is the year he will focus on JOBS, JOBS, JOBS!!  Hmmm....wonder if it's because he needs to come up with SOME talking points to make up for the fact he has done NOTHING to reinvigorate this economy!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have to say I haven't met any Democrats who want the government shut-down. For the most part, everyone I know, Republicans and Democrats, want the two sides to come together so they can bring our country out of this hole we dug ourselves into. The my team vs. their team thing is very hurtful to our society. We need to come together.
    And, don't listen to extremeists on either side . . . .they will claim the other side is evil .. . . we are all good people who want the best for our country.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If the government closes does that mean the politicians get to collect unemployment? It should. A few months w/o their hefty paychecks, and benefits would save US a ton of money, and let them sit in our shoes for a while! It is all politics I don't care if you are a donkey, or an elephant! It's bullshit, and ridiculous that we the people of the US should buy into the ignorant rhetoric, I don't know if anybody has realized it yet, but we as a country are on the brink of Fascism for a government, it ain't pretty, look it up. I did. And if you apply the Fascist principles to those that are screaming Socialism the loudest, you will understand what I am talking about. Wake up people, please!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011