Is ur cat declawed?

I won't judge. I know some people can get really fired up about this. I don't think it is right to but I just want to know other peoples opinion. My kitty isn't declawed and I am due soon with my first child. I do use the kitty caps though.

When do you think is the best time to stop using them? I want my child to learn that they can't just do anything it wants to the cat, but I also don't want to let my kid get really hurt. I don't want to keep her claws covered forever though because she is really good with not scratching the carpet and whatnot, and she doesn't like having them on. I figured she would get used to them but she hates them. What do you think?

JealousGrrl

Asked by JealousGrrl at 2:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Pets

• My cats are not declawed and have never been. I've had 5 different cats in various stages of their lives from before having my first child to now when my kids are 6, 11 & 13. The only one who has ever clawed my kids is our current middle cat. It has never been out of being mean, but playing. There are times she gets in what we call a "mood" and she rolls and looks cute but she'll swipe at anyone or thing that gets too close. We all just avoid here.

The other cats would pretty much avoid my kids when they were really young. The crazy mood cat will let my youngest hold her tail and always has. It really is depending on the cat.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have a toddler and a 7month old. we got a kitten when our baby was a newborn.. we decided to get her declawed for safety reasons with 2 small children as well as she was scratcing everything including clothing and ruining it. Before we got her declawed, she was running around, decided to jump over the baby and scratched him too close to his eye for comfort. She's strictly an indoor cat and doesn't seem to have any difficulty without them.
    '
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• nope, she stays outside and is quite the mouser :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• no not now.but i had one once that i was made to do just to keep him in an apartment i lived at and i had him two years before they changed their policy. it made me cry to and i was complaining to the vet. and the vet said yeah they would not like iit if we took out their nails cause if he gets out how will he defend himself. Made me so angry.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My 2 cats are not declawed. We got both the cats when my youngest was a baby (he is now almost 5), and the cats have been very careful about not clawing him.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My cat's 16. We had him declawed before we found out how bad it is.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "She's strictly an indoor cat and doesn't seem to have any difficulty without them."

My old "indoor cat" got out once for an extended period of time and did fine without claws. He was a great mouser when we lived in an area with mice and now catches geckos.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• As of right now, we have one BIG Maine coon, who is declawed (previous owners did that), and one 15 pound black longhaired that is not declawed. They both go in and out as they please, and Have never hurt the baby. And I did have one declawed cat that was a hunter, so much so, that the homeowner assoc. Made us put a bell on her collar because she was killing birds all over, and leaving them behind. So i have never had a problem either way. But I won't be anymore, not necessary.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I had one cat that I was forced by my now soon to be ex husband to have declawed. It is not something that I will ever do again. I worked at vets office for 13 years so it is not something I want to have done. That being said there are some situations where declawing is necessary. I also believe that everything should be tried first before going for declawing. I had three cats when my daughter was born. None of them had ever tried to scratch a person but two had never really been around kids either. None of them ever tried to scratch my daughter but when she was about 3 years old we did get a cat that had a shorter fuse then my other cats and would scratch if my daughter messed with her to much. It did not take much for Kylie to learn not to mess with Iz like that. Izzy never got declawed and kylie and izzy are now best buddies.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No, declawing is pretty awful.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011