Thousands protest anti union bill is WI, thoughts?

MADISON, Wis. – Thousands of people descended on the Wisconsin state Capitol again Wednesday to protest a bill that would strip most public employees of their collective bargaining rights, but Gov. Scott Walker insisted he has the votes to pass the measure.

On the second consecutive day of demonstrations, Walker said he was open to making changes in the legislation, the boldest anti-union proposal in the nation. But he said he would not "fundamentally undermine the principles" of the bill, which he says is needed to help balance a projected $3.6 billion budget shortfall and avoid widespread layoffs.

"We're at a point of crisis," Walker said.

The full Legislature could begin voting on the proposal as early as Thursday.

More than 13,000 protesters gathered at the Capitol on Tuesday for a 17-hour public hearing on the measure. Thousands more came Wednesday, with hundreds chanting "Recall Walker now!" outside the governor's office.

If adopted, the bill would mark an especially dramatic shift for Wisconsin, which was the first state to pass a comprehensive collective bargaining law in 1959. The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees — the national union representing all non-federal public employees — was founded in 1936 in Madison.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think that if that many people are upset about it the bill should be put on the ballot not just passed by politics. I don't understand why so many people don't like unions, they do a lot for the people that can get them. Sometimes they are corrupt but what isn't these days...?
    JealousGrrl

Answer by JealousGrrl at 2:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'm in Wi. I have several friends who work for the state and they are beyond PISSED at this moron's actions. they are being told that if they protest,they will be fired with no benefits. They received emails last night from Madison

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Why am I NOT surprised at your screename and how well it goes with your comment. OMG
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I thought teachers care about the Children?

Madison public schools are closed Wednesday because too many teachers are taking the day off to protest Gov. Scott Walker’s proposal to limit union bargaining.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree with the first poster. Unions do a lot for people. My dad is part of one and the union help women settle a law suit at his work because they fired 80% of the females for no reason.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I find it interesting that SEIU is at-large at this "protest"... Yet,

"Skidmore College employees represented by the Local 200United union are expecting to see a dent in their paychecks starting in March.

The union notified members in a letter this week that 4.15 percent of their gross earnings will be deducted from their paychecks beginning March 11 to cover the cost of the health plan provided through the 1199 SEIU Greater New York Benefit Fund.

Local 200United includes about 150 Skidmore College employees who work in dining services and the college post office, and as stable hands, groundskeepers and custodians.

Members were told in January that their health insurance contributions were increasing to include co-payments for doctor’s visits and prescription drugs, as well as a fee of up to $60 to include a spouse on the plan."

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

They need to FEED their OWN as well

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Ohh and Op~ Don't forget  the calls of ignorance, signs that read "Hosni Walker/”Mubarak of the Midwest"  Ohhh and just when you thought they couldn't get more ignorant.....  Calls of, "Another asked: “If Egypt Can Have Democracy, Why Can’t Wisconsin?”

Dumb meet Dumber....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

•  

Dumb meet Dumber....

Some of your friends on CM were calling th ePOTUS Mubarak Hussein....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011