Discipline (mostly for those who do NOT spank)

Okay ladies, I need some help!  I am a firm believer in spanking but it has paid off and I don't find my children doing much anymore that I feel deserves a spanking.  SO......there is my dilema!  What about small infractures?  What are good discipline techniques that you use?  All I keep hearing from friends and family is to KEEP spanking but the reason spanking works in my family is because it isn't over used and given for just anything.  I'm not too proud to ask for help, lol.  Gimme your discipline techniques!  :)

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids lose "screen time" (they get 1 hr/day) 10 minutes at a time for little things. My 13 year old has autism - he has two bags on the fridge and he gets 10 jellybeans/day. He can lose or gain jellybeans based on his behavior. Whatever is left in his "green bag" (good) he gets to eat at night before he brushes his teeth, whatever is in his "red bag" my husband eats! lol We've just started this with my 2 yo (we use 5 yogurt raisins with him) and it's working well!

Answer by missanc at 2:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I use positive reinforcement more than anything, and if necessary, time outs. I typically don't need to do that though. If my children are doing something they shouldn't be doing, I ask them if they feel their behavior is appropriate, and they will answer no, and discontinue it. They generally know what is expected of them, so if it's inappropriate, and it's brought to light that it is inappropriate, they will stop.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes, that seems to be working for me also.  I like the way you worded that though, going to try that.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• OMG that's a great idea!

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011