How can I get through to my kids about overloading the dryer and then they put away their clothes wet!

I have spent years explaining about drying clothes all the and to never fold and put away their clothes wet....yet they do!
and then the dryer gets over loaded and I have to constantly tell them not to do this and all the reasons why...

How do I get through to them and to listen?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Quit buying them clothes when they ruin them with mildew.

We ended up buying a laundry basket that's the proper size of a load. They don't overload the washer and therefor the dryer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• oh wow..18 and 23?
    mae them save thier change and do thier laundry at the laundromat.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Patience. How old are they? I didn't start making my kids do their own laundry until they were 16.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Wow!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I could come up with a few "brilliant" ideas....however..in real life with real kids...they won't work. lol
    I had my son start washing his own clothes when he turned 10..and I have showed him about 20 times(he'll be 11 next month) how to load the washer.How to seperate clothes.How MUCH to put in the washer..and still it never fails..he over loads the washer and puts ANYTHING in the load...any colors, any material. He just doesnt care.
    Let them wear thier wet clothes...maybe they have to learn the hard way.
    I don't have the perfect answer..but I've got a really hard headed 10 year old! lol
    kimberlyinberea

• I explain to them about mildew and it grows in their clothes and can make them sick...maybe a giant sign would work?

Then let their clothes get mildewy...and let them get sick!
    Some people need to learn the hard way.
    Anonymous

• if it were me i would tell them to either use it my way, and if they overload it, they must pay $20 each time, to me for the purchase of a new one when the barrel breaks, or go to a laundry mat. I would tell them, when it does break, b/c of misuse after you've asked them to do it correctly, they will each pay for 1/2 of a new one. They are old enough to be respectful of your appliances, your house rules, and the fact that you worked hard to pay for that appliance.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• you let them wash their clothes once a week only. If they over load the dryer their clothes will look like trash and they'll have to wear them that way.....We set aside sat. am for weekly chores, when your bedroom is cleaned, laundry done and your communal chore is done then and only then can you do anything else. As they go older they got wiser. They started keeping their room cleaner, did their chores on Thursday or Friday after school so they could make plans for Friday night and Saturday morning. Learning to take care of yourself is the biggest lesson we can teach out kids, it's a priority. Another lesson is all about reaping your own consequences. If they ruin their clothes, they will learn to follow the process to insure, clean, wrinkle free clothes ready to ware.
    CuvierMom

Answer by CuvierMom at 3:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• They are grownups. Let their clothes mildew and then they have to replace them, and that will get through to them more than you telling them over and over.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• it is my 18 and 23 yr old daughters...so they are old enough to be taking my advice on the putting away wet clothes and the overloading the dryer
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011