Are food, clothes and medical all we need?

Do you believe we are going to be blamed and taxed and made to pay for this big bad government mess going on since WE were in school. (a bit of sarcasm, for over 40'ish moms )

And is the economy the blame anyhow?

What is the chance that our children will all become Joe Plumber? Well the U.S. maybe, but can we just leave the other stuff for all the other countries? just sayin, high tech is over the top, and we need to cut back on these things some, at least cell phones.
so...........
can we all just become basic needs ever once again. ?

I know that the Amish sect has indeed been fine for years, and we could do the same, so why all the competitive high tech/

What happened to being basic -- needs?

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 3:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Technology

• Is English your first language? I am having a difficult time understanding your question. I'm sorry. :( Just not following you!

As far as food, clothes, and medical - I do not believe medical is a basic need. I would say our basic needs are food, shelter, and clothing.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think we all should go back to basics, we are way to spoiled w/ all the new techy toys and not enough thought about our families.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 3:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yeah, I think shelter was left off your list. I'm also having difficulty seeing what your question is. Are you asking if we'll have to go back to just the basics (food, shelter, & clothing) in order to turn around the economy? My guess is no. Although I don't technically need anything more than food, shelter, & clothing in order to survive, I do require other things in order to accomplish my job (quick transportation, electronic devices, etc.) and raise children who will be competent members of society (education and school supplies).

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well, some here do see only tunnel vision as most. Introspectively you all all like things the way they are so far, if the post is confusing you. See, high tech ''has''' affected you. or you can't read.

Another way to act through this is adding shelter.

When most are struggling to maintain a home, and if one paycheck is lacking, you aren't keeping that home, right? So the question is can we live with the basics?

Unanimously answered so far. NO>
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Cofeeyum, I'm also unsure of what you're asking. Your sentence structure is really odd. But if you're asking, "Do we need technology?"

Depends on what your definition if NEED is. We can LIVE without it, certainly. But as a nation, we won't move forward.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would say YES. We can live with the basics, but very few people know how. It is also possible to live on one paycheck - not easy if that paycheck is very small, but it is possible!

I think the 'better' question is, "Are you WILLING to live on the basics." My bet is that the majority of people are not willing to live on the basics. Just the fact that people don't think you can live on one salary is possible tells me they want more then the basics. I do too! Having more then just my basic needs is nice! But, when necessary, I can and have lived on the basics.

I'm not now! :D As evidenced by my internet access!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "Well, some here do see only tunnel vision as most. Introspectively you all all like things the way they are so far, if the post is confusing you. See, high tech ''has''' affected you. or you can't read."

I can read just fine. Your sentences don't make sense. And if a family loses their house because it's foreclosed or something, they are still living somewhere - either an apartment, staying with relatives, or inside a shelter of some sort. People who are left outside (especially where I live) tend to freeze to death this time of the year. Humans will die of exposure far faster than they will of dehydration or starvation.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think going "back to basics" is a great idea, but not something I would take to a drastic extreme. It's interesting that you mention the Amish because I have recently been intrigued by their culture (through books) and think we Englishers have allot to learn from them. I don't think we need to throw away our phones and laptops (I am on here aren't I?) but I do think it's important to set aside quiet time and to focus on the important stuff without letting other things (pc, television, etc.) overrun your life.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• So the question is can we live with the basics?

Sure, it can be done. Personally I don't have all the latest gizmo's of techy stuff and don't need it or have use for it. 

Simple is better. =]

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2011