S/O: Gay/Lesbian Kids coming out

Do you think today's children can handle knowing one of their peers are homosexual? I am meaning junior high high school age children.
Do you think they are able to accept it? I know most can but choose not to.
Do you think it's safer for them to hide "in the closet" till they get out of school?

I wouldn't know anything. I didn't have gay or lesbian friends in school. I have some now but I never thought to ask them when they came out or how they were treated in school.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If kids aren't taught that homosexuality is something that is bad, evil, or wrong, why would they have a problem finding out their friend was homosexual? If kids are raised to understand that homosexuality is something that happens, it's a difference in people that should be accepted and understood, and that treating anyone cruelly is wrong, then I don't see how there would be a problem. In general, I do think most kids are raised that way, but there are some homophobic people out there who are raising their kids to carry on with that type of behavior. Teens probably should look carefully at their social environment before deciding if coming out of the closet would be safe. My hope would be that they would be free to be themselves, but I know that isn't going to be the case everywhere.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• YES!
    YES
    NO!!!!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Today's kids are better informed than their parents, it is never ok to hide anything about what makes you, you. The more kids come out and the earlier, the safer it will be for future generations.

Answer by older at 3:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think it depends on the age, and the background they come from. I personally teach my children to accept people as they are, it's not fair to judge someone else no matter what the reason. My 12 year old has a friend who is just figuring things out, but you can just tell some of the kids in school that are homosexual, and there is no hiding it. I accept him just fine, as do all of my kids.... I don't think it's right that they have to stay in the closet. Maybe if as a society more focus was on education than someones sexuality (in school) things would be different.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• There are a lot of people that I went to school with that are now openly gay that were closeted in school, far more because of what they feared would be their peers' reactions than their family's. I don't know if times have changed that much or not. I would encourage my child to be open and be who they are and let other people's problems with that be just that, other people's problems.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• When I was in school, I tried to hide my attraction to women because I was afraid of the torment. And when I did come out it was a rough ride. But the vast majority of the other students were happy to accept my sexuality without question. While there were a few - and I mean very very few - who made a fuss about it it really turned out to be more damaging to keep it to myself than it was to just be honest about who I am. That was 10+ years ago, when homosexuality was even less accepted than it is now. When I was a kid you NEVER saw homosexuality on TV or out in public. Today's kids are growing up in a world where it's not an abnormality the way it was when I was young. Because of that I think it's far more accepted than it was when I was in school, and it wasn't too terribly unaccepted by my peers then.

So yeah, they CAN and generally WILL accept the sexuality of their peers. And NO, it's never better to keep it bottled.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'd say be who you are and love yourself... BUT I know life in JHS is totally different.. But I'd think children are resilient and if we've tought the well they can and will accept their peers for who they are as individuals and if we taught the well the will know NOT to hide who they are.
    peekab00

Answer by peekab00 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think it depends on the kid's age and their upbringing, how much they have been exposed to it. I doubt my kids would care at all.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011