Which works better? Rice towel or mustard plaster?

Growing up my family used a lot of natural cures. As I don't have a medical background I don't know why they worked or even if they really did.
So I'm asking IN YOUR EXPERIENCE what worked better to fix a bad phelmy cough a hot mustard plaster on the chest or a heated rice filled towel on the back? Both works in the same way a hot steam would by opening the airways, but was there any other advantage?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 3:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Health

• You should look up the history of mustard plasters. They were based on the idea that by raising boils (through irritation) you were getting "bad humors" out of people. I guess science education wasn't a big thing with your family growing up.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No I guess science wasn't all that important. Science was done in labs by people with a lot of education. We didn't need to know why things worked as long as they did. And I know that 10-15 minutes with mustard plaster on your chest helps loosen the mucus in the lungs and a heated raw rice filled towel on the back helped with tight muscles from coughing. Just as a good 10 minutes in a steam room helps to open your pores. Does it honestly help you get better is what I want to know. And Swasson you never answered the question: rice or mustard?
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011