Opinions are needed here. The death penalty. Lets keep it cordial ladies.

First off thank you ladies for your help earlier with the information. A special thanks to SuperChicken. Thank you again!

Now that I've gotten over that hump in my paper I am now debating the pros and cons to the death penalty.

Google has been helpful but I'd rather get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Personal opinions on why you do or do not support the death penalty. I've already gotten the opinions of neighbors. A few who chose not to comment either way. Dh gave me his opinion.

I know you ladies here have strong opinions and most of you stick to what you believe in so please PLEASE give me your reasons.

**Yes I may quote you in my paper. Screen names will not be used in my paper.**

BTW this paper has to be 12 pages. LoL Trying to get as much info as possible.

Anyway, thanks ladies for any and all help.

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 3:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• As a former newspaper reporter, I witnessed 2 Texas executions in as many days. Both offenders brutally murdered children and neither were remorseful for their actions. Both offenders actually knew the children (and their families) whom they murdered and neither man would even apologize to the grieving family for their action(s). I interviewed both sides prior to the execution and reported both sides accuratly and fairly. HOWEVER -- on a personal note -- they deserved to die and shoul've been executed exactly the way they murdered the children. In one case, that would've been tied to a tree -- with her own shoelaces-- on wooded property across from her middle school and then brutally raped before cutting her to pieces with a tiny scalpel. Should he die? ABSOLUTLY. It's too bad we wasted taxpayers money keeping him alive for as long as we did.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The short answer is: I support capital punishment in extreme violent cases. In fact, there are some cases that are not eligible for death penalty that I think ought to be!

OTOHand, I think that it needs to be beyond a sliver of a shadow of a doubt that the person is guilty. You know that program where they go back and test OLD DNA for prisoners on death row? They've found some innocents through that program. So, I think everyone on death row should have that chance.

Anyone where the murder could be construed as self defense should also not be eligible for death, even if they didn't have an actual case built on self defense.

People who blatantly murder, maim, or rape - especially if it's not their first violent offense, especially if the victim is a child... I say it isn't worth the cost to jail them for life, and quite frankly what kind of life would that be anyway? I know some people hate my opinion, but there it is.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• On the note about cruel and unusual punishment... interesting news story lately about someone trying to postpone lethal injection because the drugs are expired and "may cause pain" ... this dude raped a woman and she died during the attack. Now, I won't deal with whether he is guilty or whatever, let's assume he is because he admitted it.

My opinion is that if it hurts, then oh well. Being hung would hurt, being shot would hurt, lethal injection may hurt but so what? He deserves it. Don't you figure that woman felt pain, and fear, and terror? Why shouldn't he?

... So, I guess that's kinda heartless of me, but it's how I feel. I can pray for his soul, but I can't feel much sorrow over his method of execution when I know what he did to that woman.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I am mixed. There are some violent offender, such as Charles Manson, who are probably unable to be rehabilitated. We spend anywhere between 75,000 and 175,000 dollars per year on each prisoner with a life sentence. Is it worth that? If they will never be let out?
    Hard question.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I am for the death penalty for a few reasons. #1. When it comes to the point that someone needs to be locked in a cage for life because they are so dangerous then we dont need that risk. #2. How many people's lives have to be affected before we eliminate the problem? #3. We cant afford to pay to keep people alive so they can rot away in jail and pose a risk to other people and inmates.
    Anonymous

• I support the death penalty. I feel that prisons are too humane as it is, and I feel people should be punished. In cases where someone commits homicide or a sexual offense, yet shows no remorse, or the offense is extremely violent death should be the case. That being said, there are a lot of people who would rather die than sit in solitary confinement.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 3:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I strongly believe in it IF it was enforced quicker then it is now. To have someone live on deathrow for 10, 20, 30 years and then kill them defeats the purpose. The way things are now it drags things on for the victims family and friends. Do I believe that some innocent people will be killed? Yes but then innocent people are being killed everyday on our streets. Could I be the one to "pull the trigger"? Sure could. Might it be painful to the one die. Yep but I'm sure the person they killed didn't just go to sleep and never wake up. I think they most likely suffered a lot of pain first.

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I believe in the death penalty, but only after there is no doubt about guilt. I also think the death should be equal to what was done to the victim. People like Manson should have been executed years ago, not housed at the public expense.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 4:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I support the death penalty, but not the way it is done now. I think it's ridiculous to waste tax payers money to pay for these monsters to sit on death row for year after year, while they exhaust appeal after appeal. Once they're found guilty,that's it. Fry them or hang them. Lethal injection is a joke. They should be made to suffer like they made their victims suffer. Personally, I would suggest impaling them on a sharp stick, Vlad the Impaler style, and leaving them out in a field somewhere for the buzzards to pick at their rotting corpse.

I had a friend who was shot and killed by her abusive ex-boyfriend. He has never shown any remorse,and all he's done since he's been in prison is to torture the family a little bit more by trying to get a new trial, etc. That sorry piece of crap is getting 3 meals a day and cable TV. I say just shoot him in the head like he shot her and be done with it. Bullets are cheap.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I've never been able to figure out how someone says it costs more to execute a prisoner then keeping them alive.

Me either!! Bullets are cheap. Ropes are cheap, and a tall tree isn't hard to find.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011