Strep Throat and the shot

My daughter has strep throat and they gave her a shot yesterday to help her get over it. They did the shot instead of oral antibiotics. Well she keeps saying "boo boo" on her leg. My question is has anyone else had the shot or an older child that said their leg still hurt afterward? I am asking this because I don't know if she is lying about it. She has said a "boo boo" hurt before when there was no boo boo. Like she had her blood drawn and she kept saying it hurt then I took off the bandage and she didn't complain after that. So since I don't know is it still possible her leg does hurt? If so what can I do for her to feel better? The doctor didn't tell me anything besides the shot will help cure the strep.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yes . . . shots can leave some swelling in there and it can hurt up to a week. A cold pack for a few minutes, hugs and kisses from mommy, or some ibuprophen can help with that.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Kiss it better. Give her a hug. Do not make any unnecessary fuss. It sounds like you saw a very good doctor who decided on a one-off treatment instead of a long drawn out series of tablets. That was a wise choice for a young child.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2011