When is a good time to get a babie's ears pierced?

i've heard after their last set of shots, when is that?

xLeeAnnex

Asked by xLeeAnnex at 3:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We got dd's done after her 2 month shots..she barely even cried, but it was still hard to watch..and now (she'll be 3 in June) she loves to pick out her earrings and hear everyone say how pretty she looks with her new earrings (little studs of course, but it lights her up lol)
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Honestly, I think when they are old enought to want it for themselves! I know that isn't what you wanted, but my sis-in-law works in pediatricians office and has seen lots of torn ears, keilod scarring and all kinds of infections,, why risk it, when she is a teen it will be special to her!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• When they are old enough to ask for them! Piercings do nothing but cause physical damage in exchange for s small amount of cosmetic improvement (and even that is subjective) why should anyone but the person who owns the body be choosing to have something like that done? You wouldn't tattoo your baby, why would you pierce them? Plus, there are dangers which come with piercings including infections, tissue damage, ripping of the ear lobes, metal allergies, and even a risk of things like HIV and other blood transferred illnesses... If you insist on doing such a thing do your child a favor and have her doctor or a professional piercer do them with a NEEDLE and not with a gun!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I plan on waiting until she can ask for it and take care of them herself. Maybe around 10 or 11. Somewhere around there.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i always hated walking through walmart and hearing screaming babies getting their ears pierced. my daughters definately aren't getting it done until they ask for it
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 4:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My mom's rule was that we could get ears pierced when we were old enough to care for them ourselves, and also when we were done with playgrounds and recess because she was afraid that we would tear our earlobe by getting the earring ripped out when playing. At the time I moaned and groaned about her rule and now I have the same rule for my DD. She's only 2 so it's not like she's bugging me for earrings, but frankly I already feed her, dress her, bathe her, change her diaper, and I don't need another thing to take care of for her. When she gets older it will be a rite of passage to look forward to and a sign that she is not a little girl anymore. Plus, I always worry that little kids will somehow get the earring out and choke on it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Personally, I think it's best when she wants it done, and understands what will be happening. Regardless of my personal feelings, I urge you to go (at ANY age) to a licensed piercer that uses a needle rather then a gun. I'm also not comfortable with any place that requires proof of immunization.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• A good time is when you feel you and the baby are ready. Most places suggest any time after thier 2 month shots.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011