Any gardeners out there?

Have u ever made up your own soil mixture? We did last year it was 1/3 of a 5 part compost(cow manure,humus,mushroom compost, garden soil and top soil), 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite. It was the best stuff, it's a little bit of work but, well worth the reward. We had 10 and 12 ft. tomatoe vines and the tomatoes were beautiful. he also, put miracle grow on everything about every 2 to 3 wks. And I planted my flowers in this mixture and they grew like crazy and were gorgeous. Just, wondering if, you've ever done this ,too. Oh, this was in a raised bed or in pots.

pswiley

Asked by pswiley at 4:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I usually just amend the soil with peat moss (we have mainly clay soil) and get the bags of coffee grounds free from Starbucks.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have but I like your mix better, mine was 20% humus, 20% topsoil and 40% sand I read that somewhere.
    PJsplace53

Answer by PJsplace53 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• That's the square foot gardening mix, and it is absolutely awesome. Best advice I can give you if you like it, is to start a compost pile NOW, and keep at it. The peat moss and vermiculite don't need to be replaced each year, but the compost does (in fact, you should add compost each time you plant something new). That way you'll only need to buy small amounts (or one huge bag of each) of the peat moss and vermiculite unless you plan to expand your garden size later on.

For anyone plagued with weeds, this mix starts off weed free and is very easy to keep that way.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Farmlady09 thanks for the advice, thats good to know. Yep, its the square ft. gardening mix. We have a compost pile,we get free compost from a cotton processing plant and its wonderful stuff. We used it to fill holes in the front yard and the grass was the prettiest green and thick. You should see it!
    pswiley

Comment by pswiley (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2011