Natural forms of GERD treatment

My daughter is suspected to have acid reflux again. She had it as an infant, and seems to have it again (she was symptom free for over a year and a half). So my options are:
find a safe medicine to use on her, if I do this I want to know all the potential side effects both short and long term, if I do this, it only helps with symptoms, it doesnt FIX the problem.
do not treat with medicine but change her diet, I have no clue what to feed her that would be low in acidity, we eat cheap and healthy here. We occasionally eat homemade fried chicken or hamburger helper, but most is homemade and chocked full of fruits and veggies. again, relieves pain, doesnt fix the problem
consider surgery to fix the problem entirely so she wont have to continue to be medicated and in pain, but am I okay or financially able to deal with a major surgery on my 3 year old? Not likely.

Has anyone else had to deal with reflux in their kiddos? Are their medicines you used? What did you ultimately decide to do? Any good websites I can go to for information?

Thanks ladies!

chipper87

Asked by chipper87 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• what are they symptoms that have seemed to come back for your 3 year old?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• She is sick right now, so some of the vomiting is to be expected, but it seems to be MUCH worse in the morning, it even wakes her up. When she is sleeping (even propped) I will see her wincing and making sort of like a throat clearing sound, she wines in her sleep and reaches for her throat. She says that it hurts at the top of her chest. She complained for a month about her "tummy" hurting with no fever/regular vomiting/coughing....nothing really, other than it seeming to be worse after she's had acidic foods. She isnt even digesting some of her food right now, which could be the virus, or it could be the reflux if she is having a really hard time with those foods (diced tomatoes, onions, ketchup, a1 sauce, etc). The dr. said it could be the lactose intolerance, but she's been off of milk for 2 weeks with no change.
    chipper87

Comment by chipper87 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Try giving her papaya enzyme (without pineapple).

I would also eliminate diary and glutens (it can take six weeks to get them completely out of the body)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I put my son on prevacid. It helps. I am not thrilled about giving my child medicine but the side effects and long term harm possibilities are very minimal compared to frequent vomiting and other symptoms (teeth alone is a nightmare).
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• So, I called and asked them to call in a prescription, even if just temporarily until I can figure out what else will help, but honestly, I might leave her on it. I'm afraid if I take her off of it and start playing with her diet and that doesnt help her, it will cause her more harm. I appreciate everyone's help and if anyone else has any tips, I would still appreciate them : )
    chipper87

Comment by chipper87 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Hi my belief is to explore every dietary possibility before going down the prescribed route (last resort).

I found quite a few interesting articles a while back on diet and remedies, ill dig around and post back.

good luck
    DonnaD211

Answer by DonnaD211 at 4:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Thank you Donna! I did a little research yesterday and wasnt finding much help other than the basics (frequent small meals, low acid foods, no eating 3hrs before bedtime, no carbonated drinks, cut back on milk intake, prop top of bed, etc) which are all things I typically follow with her anyway, with the exception of the low acid foods and the propping, but I've been trying to watch both for about two weeks now to no avail. I appreciate you taking the time to help me : ) Thank you!
    chipper87

Comment by chipper87 (original poster) at 8:26 AM on Feb. 18, 2011