My nipples are sore from BF...but I think its normal, what do you think?

I know they say if you are doing BF right, it wont hurt.

It hurts when she latches on...but after about 10 -15 seconds of nursing it goes away and feels fine.

I just had my girl on the 4th...so isn't this just normal tenderness. I am not cracked or bleeding or anything like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say it's normal, especially since you're so new into the nursing relationship, and the pain is not excruciating.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It hurts in the beginning. It gets better soon. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes, even if you are doing it right..it is normal for your nipples to become sore from time to time.
    I've been nursing my youngest for almost 5 months...in the beginning it took about 1 month for the few seconds of soreness to ware off. Now every so often when he has been nursing more often my nipples get sore or if he chomps down to hard (because hes beginning to teeth) they are sore.But not so horribly to where it would make me want to give it up.
    Hang in there! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• What you describe is normal; it's not supposed to keep hurting for longer than what you're experiencing. Lansinoh can help with the soreness.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes, sounds normal. If baby wasn't latching right the pain would continue and probably get worse as she continued to nurse, the fact that it goes away quickly is a good sign. In a couple of weeks you may have no pain at all as your nipples will be used to the constant contact. Lansinoh nipple cream definitely helps, or just rubbing a bit of breast milk onto your nipple after nursing can help as well.

Congrats on your baby and best of luck with the nursing! The many hours spent nursing and bonding with my DD are memories that I treasure.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Same as all previous posters. Congrats on your baby & good luck breastfeeding...it's a wonderful experience!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I was this way with both of mine! It will pass
    keywest_mama

Answer by keywest_mama at 6:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• And remember, soreness and pain aren't quite the same, KWIM?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Totally normal since it goes away
    cbd78

Answer by cbd78 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Mine were sore for a week or so, same thing, just when she'd latch on. Sometimes she gets a really great grip and it hurts initially, lol, but other than that it is fine... I'm sure it's just getting used to it :)
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2011