Do you believe purebreed dog breeders kill shelter dog's chances for adoption?

I guess there were protestors at the Westminster Dog Show holding signs to that effect. I totally disagree, your thoughts?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/14/westminster-dog-show-new-_n_822936.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Pets

• personally from my experience with shelter dogs they are there for a reason. someone usually trained them wrong or beat them or neglected them. so they either run away or have alot of behavioral problems that the shelter imo dont tell you about and leave you in the wind on how to correct the problem. i had gotten a few dogs from the shelter and the minute the door opened they would run off. after recieving tickets for it we took them back. after that i will never get another shelter dog. we have two pure bred dogs that are wonderful dogs and we never had problems with them. personally i go with the pure bred puppy that i can train and i know what behaviors to expect. just mt view
    Anonymous

• The bottom line is that adoption of pets is not for everyone, just as adopting a child is not for every parent.

There will be pet owners who would never adopt, if it was the last option to getting a dog and others who would never purchase from a breeder, One does not hinder the other. These protesters are mostly happy to have such a big soapbox to climb up on in order to gain some attention. That is it in my opinion.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Personally, I don't believe the REPUTABLE breeder kill a shelter dogs chance for adoption. It is the puppy mills and back yard breeders that are doing that. They are the ones that breed their dogs every heat cycle just to make a buck. They are also the reason many of the dogs are ended up in shelters. It is a vicous cycle. People who buy purebreds are not necessarily more responsible. I have seen many come in (vet clinic and shelters) that have a purebred dog that has been "knocked up". I would adopt from a rescue in a heart beat. It does not matter how good the shelter is they all deal with parvo, kennal cough and other diseases. However the majority of them have isolation for that reason so that the animal can be cared for and seperated from the healthy animals.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'm not against sahelter dogs I think that they are great for some people. However as a family with young children I need to have a puppy weather it is a mutt purebred or a desinger breed.
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 5:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• REPUTABLE breeders do not kill shelter dog's chances. Breeders who care work in rescue, promote rescue and help dogs who need to be rescued. They do not sell to people who don't know what they are doing...they ask lots of questions and offer lifetime support for the pups they sell.

What kills shelter dogs is people who buy on a whim, from a pet store, for a gift or get a dog without doing research. Or people who want their kids to experience the miracle of birth, those who don't believe in fixing their dogs and so on.

It's absolutely crazy to think that purebred dogs are killing shelter dogs.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:36 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I totally disagree.
    There are many out there (I am one) who'd rather have a mutt or one from a shelter than a purebred. Purebreds are known to have more health issues and some are even more aggressive towards children and other pets. Ones that are mixed seem to be better family pets and live longer.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 4:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• First of all if the dogs you are getting from a shelter have parvo or Kennel cough or any other canine illness then this "shelter" needs to be reported to the American Humane Society or A.S.P.C.A. immediately, because they are not an actual shelter. Certified shelters have on staff veterinarian's to maintain the health and well being of the animals in their care. Furthermore they legally have to inform you of any illnesses, the dog may have if in some cases they do not have, a vet on staff due to financial reason. Second of all yes SOME of the dogs in shelters have been abused and or neglected, and yes SOME of these dogs have behavior issues, If you were beaten, kicked, and starved on a daily basis SO WOULD YOU! If you are not willing or unable to accept the responsibility or being a dog parent then you shouldn't have one, Dogs like children require lots care and compassion, it's not a designer handbag.

dorsey3

Answer by dorsey3 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No, if you have ever been to a shelter you know they always have people in there adopting pets. Unfortunately, they constantly keep getting homeless animals in as well. It's much cheaper and not everyone has to have a purebred animal.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• From what I've seen, each person has an idea in their head of what sort of pet they want. Some think they can only get that from a purebred. Some want the whole 'show' scene. Some would never pick a puppy or kitten up from a shelter, even those who have their shots, are speutered, and healthy ... but will buy a sickly 'mill' puppy or kitten from a pet store. Others won't ever choose a pet except one that needs a home as much as they need a pet to love.

I think the biggest contribution to shelter populations come from 'free' pets, 'gift' pets, etc. People who vet their animals, pay for a license, etc. are just more responsible about keeping them rather than dumping them at a shelter (or on the street). Same goes for those who think about their home and what pet would fit and know something about the breed ... rather than someone who just picks one because it's 'cute' or matches the carpet.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• no, lots of people prefer mutts or just reallwant to rescue a dog
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011