How far are your parents and how often do you visit?

My parents and I have always been close... I am just now TTC and they are moving way across the country (well, a 14 hour drive away). My husband says he could easily transfer out closer to them, but I am not sure that's what I want (I love where we live!).

How far away are your parents?
How often do you travel to see them?
Has it impacted your kids that they are far?

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Travel

• I wanted to add this.

My son is extremely close to both sets of grandparents. He speaks to both sets multiple times a week usually. They have always been involved in his life, even if it has been long distance. The internet, web chats, video chats..etc.. developing the way they have over the past few years has been an amazing asset in regards to keeping the family connected and close to one another. My son is grown, so it has been only the past 10 years or so really that there have been so many amazing advancements in this area. Young children today, have so many outlets and resources available now thanks to the web that allow them and aid them in staying close and involved with distance family members.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would never venture out too far from them, when my father was alive were very close in proximity to my house and after he died my mom came to live with me and still does, I was blessed with two wonderful parents and my first two got to meet a set of wonderful grandparents.

Answer by older at 4:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• We live in the same city within 3 miles of my mom and I love it.. although we have our house up for sale and we will be moving maybe 45 minutes away and that seems like torture.. currently we see each other up to 3 times a week - sometimes more and sometimes less.. my sister and niece and my other sister and her husband also live all within 3 miles of each other
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Mine are around 8 hours away. I try and see them twice a year. NO it hasnt impacted the kids. When my oldest ones were younger we lived nearby so they had a pretty good relationship before they moved far. My younger two dont really seem bothered.

Answer by gemgem at 4:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My parents are over 2k miles away. We very rarely see one another, I can count how many times in 20 years on one hand.

My husband's parents are in India, we haven't seen them in over 25 years now.

It's hard to say that the distances in our family have really "impacted" my son because that's just the way it's always been. He never knew any different, his whole life his family has been spread out like this, so it's the "norm" for him. I think it would have been something that would have cause some sort of impact on him if he had lived close to family for part of his life, then suddenly everyone spread out, because that would've been a change for him.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I just moved in w/my parents after splitting w/the girls dad so...I see them daily. Honestly, besides having kids, it was the best thing I've ever done!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My mom lives about 45 minutes away, we visit her about three times a month. My dad lives about 2 hours away, we don't visit him much either. My son isn't negatively affected by it, he's that much happier when he gets to see them lol
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 4:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• During the winter they are 950 miles south, during the summer they are 900 miles north. I see them when they migrate as they have to drive right by me :) We also make the trip up north every summer to visit the rest of my family and DH's. We are also planning on going to Key Largo every winter from now on to visit them. So it averages every 3-4 months.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• We spent many years stationed all over the place. At times we were within an hour or so from Mom. Others thousands of miles away. Since my husband retired from the Navy My Mom lives 10 miles from us. I see her no less than 3 times a week because she needs help. My MIL lives 6 hrs away and it's still a bit close.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My parents live about 1800 miles away, and I love it!

now we just fight over the phone or Yahoo IM.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2011