What are signs of PPD?

I recently posted a question and everyone who replied to it suggested that I may have postpartum depression.

Gave birth in December 2010.

I am just curious as to what the signs and symptoms are.

Are there ways to deal with it without going to see the Dr? is there something I did to get like this?

My husband has also mentioned to me on a few different occasions that he thinks I have PPD and that I need to talk to my Dr. I feel embarrassed that I can't control my emotions so every time I go to the Dr and she asks how I am doing I say Great.

If I have PPD will it just go away on it's own?

justice316

Asked by justice316 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had ppd set in when my son was about 6 weeks.

-I didnt want to hold my son. I didnt want to feed him, change him, nothing. I did, but only because I HAD to.

-I was exhausted but couldnt sleep

-I was made angry very easy

-I felt like I wasnt in control

-I stopped eating.

It can get better with just talking to someone, I needed meds.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 4:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It is always better to talk about it. Many, many women deal with this, and your doctor is very, very well versed in helping you. You can even call instead of go in.

Please don't be embarrassed . . . your doctor is there to help you . . . that is his/her job.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i felt bad about it until my wise ob explained how it happens to me - you dont have aperiod for 10 months - building up hormones that make you feel crabby and get hit all at once... it is nothing other than hormones - dont feel bad! just go do something to make it better. it might go away on its own.. but not likely.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 5:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011