School districts and many businesses are in uncharted territory when it comes to what you can and can't post on the Internet.

A Pennsylvania school district incited national controversy this week after suspending a teacher for berating her students, who she refers to as "rat-line" and "disengaged, lazy whiners," on her personal blog.

She didn't blog under her name. She never mentioned the school or names of any of the students. Is this fair? What do you think? Would your employer, clients, customers think different of you if they read some of the things you posted?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700110608/Teacher-suspended-over-blog-entries.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If she didn't blog under her name, then how did anyone figure out who she really was, unless she TOLD someone about her "alter ego?!"

I'm a teacher in PA--neighboring county, and I while I have never made slanderous comments about my students, I DO understand what she is saying. However, as an "older" teacher, who had many years work experience in the private sector prior to becoming a teacher, I learned that you NEVER put in writing what could be taken out of context 10 years from now! Unfortunately, for many young professionals, this is a hard lesson to learn! Social networking sites have and will continue to plague those trying to secure professional, upwardly mobile careers!! If you put it "out there," consider it public record!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I had a fellow teacher who was told by the admin. that she had to remove a pic from her FB page that showed her w/ a glass in her hand. The glass contained just pop, but b/c it could "look" as tho she had an alcoholic beverage, she had to take it off. I think it's a bit overboard since she is clearly over 21! This is just one of many reasons why I dont do FB.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I guess teachers are held to a different standard ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well, my blog could be a lot funnier than it is. Last night I had a table that fits a certain type cast that drank 19 diet sodas between two people, was rude and verbally abusive, and tipped six percent, and I could have a LOT of fun poking fun at them. It COST ME MONEY to give them their sodas.

I don't do it. Because it's not professional and puts my job at risk. You can have a blog that's invitation only, or completely private, if you need to pour out your thoughts. And yes, this will go under anon. You know who I am.
    Anonymous

• I am also a teacher. I have been one for 20 years in NC. SCOTUS does allow for teachers to be able to enjoy the freedoms guaranteed US citizens, but there is also a limit to those especially the 1st Amendment when it is concerning your job. We knowingly relinquish a small amount of our freedom of speech in the line of work. Teachers do not get to say whatever (s)he wants if it is relating to the job. You will be held accountable for your words. The teacher should have known this with the number of teachers getting in trouble for posts on the internet. You do not put in writing what you do not want people to hold against you later. It was a year ago. It is being held against her. When will people start paying attention.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The internet isn't private. Whatever you put on there, can come back to bite you. This teacher was very unprofessional in what she did.She should have known better, now she has to pay the consequences.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My kids (and myself) are fb friends with a teacher they all had in high school.. I don't really have a problem. I guess it would be best if they didn't go on and on about the school or the students for the simple fact that it doesn't look professional. I think if the schools or businesses want to make the rules they have the right but need to make sure everyone reads and signs them. I also think it depends on what kind of business it is though.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• why are teachers held at such higher standards and not are government officials good lord do we have things backwards...
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

***
    Because teachers are responsible for shaping impressionable minds, and are supposed to be role models and trustworthy. Government officials are elected leaders, and are not responsible for impacting a child's life. Tell me, if there was a police officer in your town that was posting racist and/or demeaning comments about women and minorities on their FB page, wold you think just as highly of them, or would you want them fired?! I'm thinking the latter, because a certain degree of trust has been broken.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have a friend who is a teacher who does not post a picture of herself on fb not even on her profile pic. It is to protect herself. She rarely posts and this was something the school she worked at implemented. I had to take down pictures I took with her in it and also untag her :-)
    I know teachers who have FB but keep it descreet
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2011