Who win's the battle?

Nature or nurture? My spouse say's I am a Nurture he is Nature. What are you ? what harm can be done with the children who practice one or the other.

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 4:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• You can't practice them; the debate is whether the person you are is the result of the way you were raised or genetics.

Agreed. It's looking at a rapist, and saying is he that way because of genetics, or is he that way because of the way he was raised. Or on the opposite end, looking at an educationally successful individual who has landed an amazing job and very well off. Is this because of their genetics, they were "destined" to succeed, or is it because of the environment they were raised in.

I believe both play a role in our development. Nature help sets our inborn traits, stubbornness, easy-going, go-getter, follower. When people say their infant is easy-going, that's genetics. You haven't taught your 3 day old baby how to be this way, they just are. Yet I fully believe nurture plays a huge role in how we end up. If a stubborn child is taught to embrace this quality and use it wisely it'll get them far in life. (cont)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I don't think that's the way it works...

You can't practice them; the debate is whether the person you are is the result of the way you were raised or genetics.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If excuses are constantly made for them, and they're never taught to take responsibility for their actions and stubbornness, then its going to hinder them in life. Some affluent children end up in prison, rapist and murders. Some children from poverty end up becoming millionaires. I fully believe nature gives you your start, and nurture forms your future.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Well Ill tell ya. I really used to believe Nurture over nature and actually banked on that when I split up with my ex husband. My kids had really no relationship with him (he never visited his problem not ours), so I figured they would be raised in a loving home and not have much of him in them. I was so very wrong. My oldest son is JUST like his father. He is 18 now and has only seen his father maybe 4 times since 1998, yet he acts JUST LIKE HIM. Its uncanny really. So now I am just not so sure about the whole thing.

Answer by gemgem at 4:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Sounds like your kids win. They get a balance of both

Answer by admckenzie at 5:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I believe you are born with certain genetics and DNA that create the potential for your personality. Given the right environment, certain portions of those genetics will thrive. Of course, as in a previous poster, even when you try to control the environment, nature can take over. I think the best we can do as mothers is nurture our children to be the best possible people they can be.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 3:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think it's nuture, personally. That being said there's exceptions to every rule.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• very well said ba13ygrl1987
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My 2 kids are entirely different. I guess nature.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• DNA loads the gun, but environment pulls the trigger, so to speak.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2011