Budget cut propsals?

All over the country from the community level through county, state and federal offices budget proposal are being vetted.

Most proposals contain painful cuts, from loss of benefits to layoffs and reduction of services. School districts, city services, police, fire, libraries, you name it is all on the chopping block.

As we are seeing now in Wisconsin, watched it here in Rockford with Police and Fire even the library, federal cuts to education (pell grants). The defense cuts discussed here just the other day. I am sure everyone’s school district is making all kinds of budget noise. People are out in the streets protesting the cuts, and they have the right to do so, no argument from me there. I have sent my own letters about the NPS, EPA and HPA funding cuts that affect my personal field (archaeology).

My question is where are the cuts supposed to come from? If we leave one alone, say education, then that money has to be found somewhere else, right?

At this point in our economy I don’t think any area of government spending is off limits, but I do want education and defense properly funded (I am sure there are areas of waste in these programs to be found). How about you? What would you cut? Where are the most efficient savings to be found and why?

emptynstr

Asked by emptynstr at 4:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The country has a choice. Accept cuts or increase taxes .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The problem is the foxes still run the hen house. For example. My kids school have a really fine flat screen TV...hanging the hallway. WASTE of MONEY. BUT they had so much money for electrics that they HAD to spend on electronics or lose...so they blew it! THIS is the crap that needs to be fixed. WASTE. This across the board poilitical posturing cuts are pissing me off!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• We have to start living from a different paradigm. We have to return to a time that we lived independently of the state instead of by the state. We have to return to pencil and paper at school instead of expecting every school to provide each student with a laptop or Ipad or Kindle. We have to strip the power from many a gov't agencies so that we can move freely to grow our own food, raise chickens if needed, have that garden without being told we don't have the proper permits. Wisconsin is the birthplace of the progressive movement. They were protesting and some of the people didn't even know why they were there. They were just protesting. Common sense if free and needs to be the slogan of the day.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Who teh hell wants to fund our allies, Sweet? I must have missed those questiions. I hear most everyone say they think our money belongs here first. Must be more of your liberal spin.
    As for people out there protesting, well, they need to get a grip. They cannot continue to live high on the hog.Period. Unions are the ones causing teachers to be laid off and others to face changes in their benefits. I'm sure it was nice to have all that stuff for free but to much of a good thing is never good and now people have to pay the piper.
    It's been proven that money does not make a good teacher or school so I think the whole education system needs an overhaul that includes less money and better teachers.
    Obama has caused many many lay offs with his policies and to show how worried about it he hired over 200,000 new government workers in mostly pretend jobs. Those people need to go first. Most of their jobs are not needed anyway.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• janet16: I am a teacher in a system that is firing 45 MORE teachers this year, but bought Ipads for all the students at one of the middle schools. One of the high schools provides a laptop for all the students, but at my school one of the grades has 43 kids in one 7th grade math class. It is insane. If the money were being used wisely, they wouldn't need to cut. The school system my son attends doesn't send buses if you live within 1/2 mile. Parents complain about that.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Raising taxes and setting a income cutoff for receiving Medicare and Social Security.
    It seems to me that the people who are most effected by cuts are the ones with the smallest voice
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• jesse: I dont know what schools are getting Kindles- but the schools in my area are struggling & cant even provide a bus if you live under 2 miles. We purchase numerous school supplies & pay various fees. Cutting education costs is a huge mistake. (IMHO)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It seems like whenever cuts are mentioned it will only widen the gap between the haves & the have nots. I do not like the direction this country is heading, & haven't liked it for years. I dont know what it will take for those in power to "Get it" ! I'm tired of speaches & false promises. I'm tired of the wasteful spending & the cuts to programs that aid those that need it most. (like the elderly, the disabled, & the education system - just to name a few) Maybe we need a group of CM delegates who know how to manage a budget & live w/in our means to help Washington get it right! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• All our classrooms got Smart Boards this year...yet there are 40 kids to a class.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Republicans/ conservatives are busy demonizing the vulnerable and sending their stupid troops out (see them all over CM) to complain about food stamps and "entitlements"....and how we are broke...

***
    Sounds like quite the case of paranoia!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2011