Is it better to forgive than seek revenge? (Link to article re Christian's perspective)

An interesting article and well written ~

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-candace-chellewhodge/is-it-crazy-to-forgive-th_b_822437.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, and I think many religions have teachings on this. It can take time to forgive sometimes, and even if we can't forgive FOR the other person's benefit, then we should at least do it for ourselves. It's better for us to not hang on to anger and resentment. I also agree that this doesn't necessarily mean forgetting, because we want to learn from it--just not dwell on it and seek revenge. We want to learn our lessons from it and then let go.

“To understand everything is to forgive everything”~Buddha

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."~Buddha

“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.”~Buddha

"It is natural for the immature to harm others. Getting angry with them is like resenting a fire for burning."~Shantideva

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Without reading the article - what is revenge? You are "getting even"? Does that mean you are doing something wrong? Two wrongs don't make a right. And, as long as you're not forgiving, you are letting it fester within you. Forgiveness allows you to be free from the hurt. It takes quite a bit of energy to hold in emotions, plan to get even, let the hurt fester. You are actually allowing that person to continue to hurt you. If you do "get even", what have you accomplished? You are just as bad as the other person. Now you have guilt too. WOW, I'd rather forgive and walk away.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Kimimale,that's basically what the article said and I agree with you and the article. It was well written. The matter is not if we CAN forgive, it's whether we WANT to forgive. It's a matter of our will. As a Christian, I know I am commanded to forgive, but I do so also because it does release me from that person. I am much happier and don't act out to others because of what someone ELSE did. It's awful to give someone else that much power over you..especially when they aren't even bothered by the offense. Anyway, sometimes it's hard and that's when all the glory is to God. Sometimes I can't do it on my own but thankfully I have a loving Father, Savior, and Holy Spirit to help me through it :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yup it is better to forgive then healing can happen with both parties.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Of course.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• FORGIVE but never FORGET
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 4:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I was going to quote the 'hot coal' quote from the Buddha that pam19 cited earlier. At a certain point, I think we need to forgive so that we can let go and move forward. I've run into this from some very hurtful people in my family... I harboured a lot of animosity against them for a long time. Eventually I came to realize that they were who they were. I could hate them and tear myself up doing it and lose out on contact with my family because of it, or I could accept that they were human, imperfect, and flawed but forgiveable. Making that decision was the best thing I could have done.

Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• You need to forgive but you dont have to forget.
    AngelLoverMom

Answer by AngelLoverMom at 10:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes, it is better to forgive. I find it harder to forgive myself than others.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Revenge is Mine Sayeth the Lord. Nuff said
    Anonymous