How Can I Get My 3yr old Son To Go To Sleep???

Ever since he was born, he hated sleep. I guess he didn't want to miss anything.:) but now, it takes For EVER to get to bed. We've tried the whole bed time routine(still do it). We do a book before bed, we do a ready get set go.. run from the living room to his bed, I tell him its time for bed, i've spent time just sitting in the room, I let him scream it out, but then he just gets out of bed, i've done the repeated place him back in bed super nanny style. haha, i've given him a night light, fan. EVERYTHING i can think of, and my child will not go to sleep! Same with naps. My youngest son(2yr) is just fine, he'll go to bed when asked, a little fuss, but 98% of the time Dryden goes to bed and takes his naps..
Please help..I don't know what to do with my son..lol

klynn2

Asked by klynn2 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have one child like that. This sounds awful, but we used to have to hold him down (gently) and stroke his eyebrows and nose until he finally fell asleep. It got better as he got older, now he lays in bed with a book or a book on tape, but he's still slow go to sleep. The kid could stay up half the night if we let him.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I had this with my now 7 year olds! What we finally found that worked was we brought them book tapes, they turned them over when they got to the end, and could listen to as much as they wanted every night, it seemed to completely pacify them and eventually they fell asleep while the tape was on, and now they still have the tape, but connect it with sleep so are lucky if they get through even half the side!
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 12:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Huh.. a book on tape? we have used the radio too but he got up to change the station during commercials. But thats a good idea. Its funny and frustrating at the same time, because he'll be like mom, we need to this before, wait i have to do a dance, no wait i need to do a hand stand..anything and Everything to delay bed time. I agree DawnA72- he would stay up half the night if we let him..He's been known in the last year to stay up past 1am. I've tried waking him up earlier, but then that just made him crabby most of the day..ugh..
    klynn2

Answer by klynn2 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yeah, as in the CDs of his favourite books, the novelty of it should keep in bed at first. And then once he gets used to it he should start sleeping, well that's what our children did! And I know the feeling, all of my children have had a hard time sleeping at some point!
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 12:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yeah, we tried the whole, taking one toy to bed, but then he just stays up and plays with it for Ever. ? I've actually(sad to say) tried the benadryl and that doesn't even work with my son. He's on like a 24/7 awake life. ha ha Yeah its weird, his brother is soo different. He slept most of his baby years. lol and even now. We thought something was wrong with him but the docs just said we were lucky. :) I will definitely try the books on tape. I think he'll actually love it. We are a family that needs some type of noise to go to bed, fan mostly, but listening to a book..Im sure he'll love. :) Thanks..
    klynn2

Answer by klynn2 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• That book on tape/CD response was a great idea! (I might have to try that one for difficult nights with our 3 yr. old too.)

I was going to say that maybe should trying setting up some type of incentive program with your son. But I guess that's the teacher in me talking :-) There are a million ways to set up an incentive program, and the great thing about it is that the incentive doesn't have to be something that costs money or puts you out in any way. It only needs to be something your son treasures, and I'm guessing that would be "special" time with his parents or his friends. If you do decide to implement an incentive program, just put forth that extra effort to make sure that it's consistent (i.e. among all caregivers and during unusual times like the holidays.) Good luck!
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 2:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2008