How can I be a stricter but loving parent?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 4:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Set the rules and the boundaries. Explain what will happen if they are broken..and then consistantly..every single time...follow though. They will push you at first. Right up until they realize it's a new regime and Mom isn't playing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• What are you not strict about now? Be strict with things like what they eat, what they watch on tv, how they talk to you, how they mind, how they treat others. Let them know you love them, you just don't like they way they are acting. Keep the spankings for VERY serious things, like something that could hurt themselves or others. Use timeouts, one minute per year of their age. Take away one of their favorite toys for a day or so, take away piveledges. Just do it with love, instead of with anger. When I was angry, we all had time out (including me) until we were able to sit and discuss what happened and what they thought the punishment should be. They hated it then, but thank me now. It let them have a sense of control and they had time to think about what they did. And I did not ask if they did it. i stated the fact. I know you did it. Let's talk about it. Asking just gives them room to lie. Not acceptable.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Be consistent. Read some "positive discipline" books. Set some boundaries, explain that if they disobey you will take away a toy, or not let them watch a program or whatever...then, when they disobey make sure you carry out the punishment. Always tell them you love them, and hug them. Reassure them that if they disobey there will be consequences. Try to be calm, if you lose control, they are in control!

Linda1012

Answer by Linda1012 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2011