If you needed a couture gown for an event, would you rent one?

What a great idea ~ Rent the Runway ~ "If consumers can rent a movie by mail, or wheels on a whim, why not a couture gown should the occasion strike? That's the concept behind Rent the Runway, a website launched in November 2009 that promises to give "every woman the opportunity to be Cinderella for the night," says co-founder Jennifer Hyman. Customers can choose from an array of designer duds for one-time wear at a fraction of the frocks' retail price tag. (A little black dress worth $1,250, for instance, rents for $150, plus shipping and $5 insurance.) Returns are as simple as dropping the Dolce & Gabbana or Diane von Furstenberg into a pre-paid mailing envelope. To date, Rent the Runway appears to be leading a charmed life of its own, signing up 800,000 members, growing February sales at 10 times last year's rate, securing $17 million in venture capital and becoming cash-flow positive in under a year. Ms. Hyman, 30 years old, and her co-founder, Jennifer Fleiss, 27, who met at Harvard Business School, are attending this week's Fashion Week as buyers, on the look-out for styles that customers will love, wear – and return."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703373404576148170681457268.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsFifth

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Absolutely! No need to own anything like that for me.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'd probably just buy it, to be honest. I'd be too worried if I rented it that I'd mess something up on it. Plus, if I really liked it, I'd want to keep it. And...if you own it, you can always re-sell it and get part of your money back.

The renting isn't a bad idea, though!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Not to mention..you're also not wearing a new dress when you rent it. Chances are, it's been worn before, and there's no telling how many times.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Rent it.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2011