My sister-in-law has asked me to borrow my house for my niece's first birthday. Although it would be gracious of me to say yes, I don't really know her friends/family and she may have over 50 people on her side alone. I've suggested that she have it at a restaurant but it's up to her ultimately. Am I a bad aunt and sister-in-law for not wanting the party to be at my house? HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. I don't blame you. That is a lot of people for a child's birthday
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i wouldn't do it
    A baby's 1st birthday is more for the adults. A restaurant makes more sense

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Do you have the room for that many people? Maybe you can suggest limiting the guest list because you dont know many but you can tell her because you dont have that much room. Otherwise I would start calling around to other venues and get ideas at how much places will cost to rent. Rec centers usually have rooms you can rent for not much money.

Answer by gemgem at 4:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I wouldn't do it either. I think she's rude for asking

Answer by admckenzie at 4:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No you are not a bad aunt. That would be too many strangers in your home and anyone could understand that. Chucky cheese..... what about Mc Donalds.... There are so many places she could have it and if its too much money then she should down size her party. SOMEWHERE else. Why cant she have it at her house?
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 4:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would allow it if it were my sister. I would just lock bedroom doors of you don't trust the people she knows. You could also tell her yes, but that you don't want more than 20 people in your house. It's your house & not up to her ultimately. What does your SO say about it? Is she your DH's sister, or your brother's wife? When is the birthday?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Don't be scared to tell her no. If you're not comfortable with it, she needs to deal with that like a big girl.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thank you all for the great suggestions and comforting comments!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Is it soon, or a little bit in the future? If it's not right away, maybe it can be planned for the backyard (assuming it's warm enough). I don't think badly of you for not wanting to host though. I also don't think it's rude of her to ask, it can't hurt to ask, KWIM?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Not at ALL!!!
    cbd78

Answer by cbd78 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011