What would you do if your kid's teacher posted a blog slamming students?

A high school English teacher in suburban Philadelphia who was suspended for a profanity-laced blog in which she called her young charges "disengaged, lazy whiners" is driving a debate by daring to ask: Why are today's students unmotivated — and what's wrong with calling them out?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2011-02-16-teacher-blog-suspended_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in

• she didnt mention any names of her students. I used to have a blog bitching about my job and the dumbass customers that I had. Like they said she could be any teacher or any person writing about their lives and frustrations. As long as she didnt name who she was talking about, its fine, its her business what she writes on her blog, you dont have to read it if you dont like it
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'm sure being a teacher is frustrating as hell, and probably most of what she said is true, but it's incredibly unprofessional to write a blog about it and post it publicly. Unprofessional and quite frankly, idiotic. So for more reasons than one, perhaps she's got no business in the classroom.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Oh that's just wrong!
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 5:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree, if she isn't naming them but just writing in general, it may not be an issue. But if she is naming kids then she needs to be reprimanded and be made to stop.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My problem with her blog was the fact that she was using profanities. I know how my son is at school. I know he can be lazy, but I communicate with his teachers frequently and we are working on it. The teachers at my son's school know that we work with him. They also know that I back them up. If he does something at school that he isn't supposed to do, he also has consequences at home. Not many parents do that anymore. She didn't name names, but maybe the issue is that many parents see themselves in her rant. The truth sometimes hurts.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would be filing an official complaint against the teacher. THIS is an example of why kids are unmotivated, they have teachers that are slamming them instead of TEACHING them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2011