Is it too extreme??

nothing seems to be working with my 2 3/4 (3 in June) yr old dd as far as discipline..she destroys the house, throws things at me (and I'm pregnant..most of the time I can tolerate it but I'm at my wits end), screams when she doesn't get her way (and finds something to throw..again at me), she pull her clothes out of her drawers..the list goes on. We've tried so many things (and she sleeps with us too) and can't seem to find anything that works..and we are consistent..so the past few days I've been taking things away when she acts up..mainly our phones and dh's iPad (she loves to watch Dora on our phones/iPad at night), and doesn't do what I tell her to do (after explaining 3 times what she needs to do)..so today has been a horrid day, she has destroyed my bedroom and hers (including my bathroom), bringing her toys in and pulling stuff out..is it too extreme to take her toys away for the rest of the day? It's the only thing that seems to get her to move when she's asked to pick her stuff up. I know she understands bc she'll do these things when someone else tells her to (she'll sleep when someone else tells her to as well)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think taking her toys away will do anything. It didn't for my daughter. What works is consistency, consistency, consistency. You have to stay consistent. If you say no, mean it. If you tell her to stop or she will take a time out, mean it and follow through. Sounds like she needs more discipline. It's hard but we must follow thru or our children won't respect us! Hold you ground mama! Good luck! Her behavior is out of control, it's good you recognize that!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 5:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree, holding your ground is what needs to be done. By any chance did she start doing this when you became pregnant? Could she be acting this aggressively towards you because of the pregnancy?? Just something to consider. If not then i'd hold my ground and let her know things are only going to get better when she starts acting better.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If she's throwing things at me, a good swat on the butt would be my answer. If I have to pick up her toys, they get put up. And that means every toy I pick up off the floor. She can have them back one at a time, if she behaves. Have hubby bring home a couple of boxes. Let her know you mean business. Stick to it. And, she's too old to sleep in your bed. She needs to start sleeping in her own bed. Not good for her or your marriage. May take a few nights, but it will be worth it in the long run.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well she's always been hard headed, then we got pregnant and she seemed ok with it..but then we moved (cross country), and once we got settled in our new place was when she started acting like this..don't get me wrong she's always had an attitude, but it's been since we moved that the sh*t hit the fan. As far as sleeping, she can fall asleep in her bed, but she wakes up many times during the night..so we are trying to get her in her bed. It's jut a matter of getting her to soothe herself back to sleep
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011