Anyone's DH have bad eating habits?

Hi ladies. I was just thinking about my husband's poor table etiquette. It isn't little stuff like using the wrong fork that worries me: he has much bigger problems. He chews with his mouth opens, gets food all over himself, chews on his napkin, etc. It's really sad. His parents never taught him good manners, and the times I have brought this up it's hurt him.

He has told me that when he was young (he's 40 now) he was told this by a friend and "really tried to fix it." He believes it was part of his dating problems and has held him back professionally in some cases because he makes a poor impression at business lunches and dinners. He actually WANTS me to help him, but when I mention "let's try to eat slowly tonight" or "honey, I notice your mouth is open" he looks visibly hurt.

How would you handle this? Any ideas how I can help him without making him feel like crud? He's an awesome guy, he just doesn't know any better.

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• LMBO... that is not what I thought you meant. HOw did you get through the dating process with that??? I think it would have turned me off so much that a second date wouldnt have happened.

My hubs "bad eating habit" is that he often works through lunch and then nibbles through out the night. it drives me up the wall.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• HEY..... you know what.... IF he Knows he is doing it but STILL does it perhaps he has a tongue thrust that was never addressed as a child.

1) does he slurp when he eats? specially soup type things?

2) does he feel he NEEDS to take large bites?

3) does he feel he NEEDS to take large gulps when drinking and drink it in a large gulp??

You need to find a myofunctional therapist and have him evaluated for a tongue thrust.... his dds may be able to do it or refer him to someone. The retraining of his tongue may take a while because he is older... but it IS something that can be fixed!!!

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• sahlady - I know! The thing is we were friends and I fell in love with him without the typical "first date" and stuff. I entirely agree that it may have played a role in his poor dating experiences because it's ... well it's not normal. My MOM has even commented on it, and she's the kind of lady who never comments on these things.

I have the same bad habit as your hubby! But unfortunately my hubby has a whole different kind of problem :(
    angelm523

Comment by angelm523 (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• awe. thats nice you're trying to help him. i actually dont know how to help much except the fact some pple dont do elbows on the table and for goodness sake, leave some food for the rest of everybody else and dont fart or burp at the table, if you do, try not to make it noticable and make comments about it. Thats all i can gather from my husband's bad habits.

and maybe have him use a napkin for a bib and put out toothpicks for some of the things you mentioned.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• work with his habits, not againest is what i tell myself
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If he wants you to help him, then do it. Even if he gets a look on his face that says he's hurt....Ignore that look. He cannot help how he feels when you correct him, but he will need to toughen up, and the only way to do that is to ignore the hurt feelings, and help him practice....It takes a long time to break bad habits and develop good ones....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Also, there is something else....does he have allergy problems where he cannot breathe out of his nose? Also do his back teeth come together when he bites down? One of my kids had this problem and had bad table manners as a result.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree as a previous speech therapist that eating problems often stem from things like tongue thrust where they are breathing from their mouth and push the food differently with their tongue.
    TelecommutingMo

Answer by TelecommutingMo at 6:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thank each of you so much! All good suggestions, thanks!
    angelm523

Comment by angelm523 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011