What size bed for 3 1/2 year old?

Right now, our 3 1/2 year old sleeps in a toddler bed. We have baby number 2 on the way and are trying to decide whether to buy another crib mattress for the crib for the new baby, OR just get our older child a bigger bed. If we get the bigger bed, I would say a twin size would be fine. But DH says we should just put him in the queen size we have in the guest room since then we don't have to buy a new mattress. I just can't imagine our 3 year old in a queen all alone! That is the same size DH and I sleep in! What do you all think?

Blakesmommy0907

Asked by Blakesmommy0907 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• If it is a question of not wanting to spend money then I would think the queen size should be fine. For us we started our kids off with twin beds and as they got older we got them fulls or queens. Right now my DD has a queen because we gave her our old bed and my older 2 children have fulls.

If it not about saving money then I would get him a twin, it is big enough and he should have it for a while. We just got our kids full beds and they are 14 and 12, although they are both the same size.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My friends DD has a queen size bed and she is 3, she does very well
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have a 3 1/2 year old as well and we got him a twin! But, if yall have a queen bed already, then I would use that until yall decide if a smaller one would work better for him. ;o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 5:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would move him to a twin. I think a queen bed would feel way to big for him and he may decide he does not want to sleep in him own room any longer.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 5:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would definitely move to something bigger then a toddler bed. It's up to you though, whether you buy a twin, or use the queen you have, or even buy a full. If it were ME, and I had the money and the space, I'd probably buy a full. If you don't want to spend, the queen will do, but what will you use for guests? Do you get a lot of overnight guests?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Heck, I didn't get a bed bigger then a twin until I was about 19 or 20, and it was a full. DH didn't get a bed bigger then a twin until we moved in together, and that was my full.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• my 3 and a half year old sleeps in a regular twin size bed. When we were doing the transition from crib to bed we took him with us to look at beds and he totally said no to the toddler beds he wanted a big boy bed like his brother
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2011