Has anyone had a uterine ablation? (maybe tmi) adult content

I am very anemic and have always had heavy periods. The nurse practioner is recommending a uterine ablation, where your uterus is filled with water to cease getting periods. I've never heard of this before... wondering if anyone else had this procedure done.

Autumn07

Asked by Autumn07 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Health

• This group may be helpful for you: http://www.endometrialablationdiscussion.com/  They have lots of women there sharing their experiences and giving advice.  If you have any questions about ablations, let me know.  Hope this helps.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I had it done in October 2009. I had HTA, although there are lots of women here who have had different types of ablations. The surgery was super easy. I had a D&C, biopsy, hysteroscopy, and HTA all done in about half an hour. I woke up feeling good. I'll bump your question to see if you can get more answers from other women who have had it done.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• what is a HTA, juliejacob? thank you much!
    Autumn07

Comment by Autumn07 (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Hydrothermal ablation. It's where the water is free-flowing, boiling the inside of the uterus for 10 minutes. There is also a balloon ablation where the water is heated in a balloon, so the hot outside is touching the uterine lining instead of the water itself. There's also Novasure (heated mesh), rollerball, laser, and so on. I chose HTA because the free-flowing water can reach every part of the surface, instead of only where an instrument or balloon would touch. My doctor did both HTA and Novasure and told me that HTA would reach into every crevice, more completely destroying the tissue.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• ok, thank you. I see how that would work now. :) I wasn't sure exactly how it went..
    Autumn07

Comment by Autumn07 (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011