How many spiritual laws do you think there are?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• One. Be good to one another but that isnt necessarily a spiritual law either...it encompasses many aspects of life.
    Anonymous

• One - love and compassion for our fellow man, though such a concept is something not contained merely within the confines of religious thought, if you get what I mean...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The Bible has 10. I have a few, never counted them. Harm none (myself or others). Just for today, I will not anger (myself or others). Just for today, I will honor my teachers/elders/bosses (or anyone that shows me a lesson). Just for today, I will do my best work (for myself or my boss). I honor all religions. (Doesn't mean I agree, just means I realize they worked hard and long to get where they are on their path.) Just for today, I will show compassion. The answers should be very interesting.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Haha, thinking about "the Bible has ten" (and this is just a thought, not meant to be an argument, lol), it does say that all of the laws can be summed up in the law of love. lol, again, not meant as an argument or anything, just an amused connection on my part - because when I answered before I didn't even really think of that and Kimimale's answer made me think of it. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• One - Always work for the greater good.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think to make a list of 'absolutes' is very difficult because life does not hand us absolutes. For example, one of the Ten Commandments states that we should not bear false witness. However, there are times when the moral thing to do is to lie. For instance, if I'm in Poland during WWII and I am sheltering a Jewish family in my attic to save their lives, and Nazis come to my door and ask me if I am hiding a Jewish family in my attic, is it really the moral thing to say 'Yes' and to allow the Nazis to execute more innocents because it is 'law' that lying is wrong?

Similarly, one of the Buddhist precepts is not to kill- I apply this to animals as well. Yet I have had pets euthanized, out of love, when keeping them alive would only draw out their suffering. I think that the universal law is to mindfully act out of love and compassion... I think we are in the right direction if compassion is our compass.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Actually, the bible has 613 commandments. The "10" or top 10, are the first ones and are really the basics for most societies.
    The others are more daily life and a basis for our legal systems - ei: repayment if someone or an animal belonging to someone destroys your property.

But to answer the question, a great Jewish teacher was asked to summarize the whole Torah (first 5 books of what is often called the Old Testament) while standing on 1 foot. He said "what is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow person. The rest is commentary." I think that sums it up best. Be kind and live kindly.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Lol.... i love that :) balagan.....

To me.. there are the 5 precepts.
    Abstain from taking what is not given
    Abstain from killing
    Abstain from speaking with malice
    Abstain from things which alter perception.

Basically, act with compassion, thought, and kindness to all.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Lol.... i love that :) balagan.....

To me.. there are the 5 precepts.
    Abstain from taking what is not given
    Abstain from killing
    Abstain from speaking with malice
    Abstain from sexual misconduct.

They all support one another. Mind altering drugs can cause you to speak with malice, or to be unkind. Sexual misconduct involves things that are taken and not given, or are lied about, or killed.
    They are very easy to follow.

Monks follow more, they have the 8 precepts.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• As a witch, I follow two. As an atheist, I follow my own conscience.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011