Need advice asap... neighbors outdoor cat bit me

i was pettin my neighbors outdoor cat today and feeding him when he decided to bite me really hard on the top of my hand he drew blood and for a couple seconds after he bit me i couldnt open my hand, well now it hurts pretty good, and is a lit swollen, should i be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Pets

• Do these neighbors take their cat to the vet? My mother has an outdoor cat, but she takes it to the vet for regular check ups and vaccinations. If this neighbor does not take the cat to the vet, you should see a doctor.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• cat bites are known for easily getting infected. make sure you wash it really, really well and put antibiotic ointment on it. Keep an eye on it for redness or signs of infection.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 5:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'd call a vet and ask what to do

Answer by admckenzie at 5:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Take good care of it, neosporin etc. If you trust that the cat is healthy, if you see it regularly, if you think it gets it's shots, then you should be OK as long a you keep it clean and stuff. I've had cats my whole life and have had many bites heal well.

If you think there is a chance it has rabies then you can get some shots to keep you from catching it... but it hurts really bad (the shots do) and you have to do it three times over a period of time... and they will likely put the cat to sleep... so I wouldn't go that route unless you already suspect it, or if the cat starts acting sick.

Here is more info about that:
    http://www.petplace.com/cats/animal-bites-rabies-and-quarantine-in-cats/page1.aspx
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I doubt the cat has rabies. keep it clean. don't call the vet call your own doctor. i have worked at pet shops and grooming shops and have had tons of cats and of all the times i have got bitten i have never had a serious problem. you can get cat scratch fever but i have never know of anyone to have it. cats bite sometimes to show affection believe it or not. i have 2 like that. i know how much petting they will take before they get excited and want to bite. There are very few cases of rabies and the cat wouldnt have let you pet it if it had it. so don't worry. but do call "your" doctor. the vet wouldnt know what to do unless he checked the cat for rabies and that would mean cutting it poor little head off. Hope your pain goes away real soon. i have been bitten and my hand did the same thing. it goes away without medical treatment. but dont let that stop you from getting checked. you do know though, they'll kill the cat to ch
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Even if the Cat has had all of it's shots, i really think you should go get a Tetanus Shot- just to be on the Safe Side-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes you should be worried. Swelling and redness is a sign of infection. Cat bites can also cause Cat Scratch fever. Most people think Cat Scratch fever is only contracted by a cat scratch.
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 12:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• make sure you clean it with alcohol because outdoor cats can carry diseases. It might swell and hurt a bit. Try putting some ice on it. Did you smack the cat? I would have.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• most likely it has rabies...it's a puncture wound so it'll get swollen. those hurt. just clean it good and hold some ice and put neosporin...you should be just fine.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• good grief...I meant most likely it DOES NOT have rabies...sorry....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011