Anyone had Bier Block anesthesia when having surgery on their hand

My 15 yr old daughter is having surgery on her hand to remove a cyst on Friday. The doctor and the anestheologist want to perform the surgery while using the Bier Block instead of traditional anesthesia. I guess I'm nervous about the surgery either way, but I'm just wanting to speak with someone who has had a Bier Block before so they can tell me what to expect, what to tell her about it (pain, uncomfortable, will she be wide awake or "drowsy" from the light sedation, etc). She seems to think she will have the surgery, and then go and have lunch and go shopping afterwards. Is this realistic? Do you bounce back from the surgery that quickly?
Anyone with experience or knowledge about having a cyst removed or having Bier Block anesthesia would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank You!

4bridges

Asked by 4bridges at 5:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Health

• Twice on my right knee..the block was done from groin down, twice on my right hand, once on my left hand. She will NOT want to go shopping. She will be drowsy. It will take some time for the block to wear off. She will have to be careful to keep the arm guarded until it does wear off because you feel nothing. I watched my hand surgery because I'm a weird nurse like that. Most patients do not want to watch. Some doctors put up a drape others don't. In most cases it takes longer for the block to get placed and fully numb than the entire procedure. make sure she follows the pre-op instructions regarding eating and drinking the night before. Also about lotions, deoderants or powders. It's nerve wracking when our kids need surgery. The block is much, much safer than general. The biggest indication for NOT having it is usually sickle cell trait.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thank You for the information!!!! I'm still nervous about the procedure (I guess just because it's my daughter and I'll always worry about her :-) but it's nice to hear from someone who has had a Bier Block before. The doctor's office called yesterday and said that we have to be there 2 hrs prior to surgery, the surgery itself should take about 30 minutes, and then we have about 2 hrs in recovery. My daughter is excited and really wants to watch the surgery (she didn't get that trait from me, LOL) so I'm hoping with her positive attitude, all will go well for her. The doctor's office gave us detailed instructions about food and drinks, no lotions, perfumes, deoderant, no contacts, etc...
    Thank You again!!!
    4bridges

Comment by 4bridges (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Feb. 17, 2011