what is so different between a spinal and an epi.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i think they're the same thing??
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• From what I understand.. spinal is for a c-section(totally numb) epi- vaginal (partially numb)

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:58 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• a spinal is a one shot deal in your back that numbs you for a couple hours and a epi is left in place and you can get more medication through the line till the take it out.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I was told that the spinal will only last an hour or so and the epi lasts a lot longer. That's why I'm getting a spinal for my c-section, it will work until surgery is over then they will put me on other pain meds. The epi is really for women that may have long labors.... in long I mean 5 hrs or more. ( I know 5 hrs isn't long for labor BUT it's longer than having a c-section). When I had my epi with my son I was feeling nothing for several hours... I had to have an emergency c-section but have experience with both... not looking forward to it again though
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Spinal you can only move your head and arms. Epi you can move it all it just numbs the pain if it works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• both numb you completly. i had a epi when i had my c section.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• you normally get a spinal for a c-secion, unless of course you already had the epidural while you were in labor. i've had both, and in my case, the spinal worked wonders. the epidural didn't work, and when i ended up having to have a c-section with my DD, they had to put me to sleep (more like twilight sleep) because no matter how many times they dosed me, the epidural didn't work. also, i think spinals last longer than epidurals.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• hmm.. yeah, they gave my cousin an epi.. i didnt know they did like spinal blocks anymore
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Armywife I agree the spinal does last longer. It took 6 hours for mine to wear off.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 12:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• They can add extra meds to an epi for a c-section, but traditional epi you can still move. The spinal is used for c-section (I have had 3), and is a total nerve block. No foot movement, no pain if it is done right.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2008