Any suggestions?

My four year old son with special needs (Down Syndrome) has been getting up early in the morning getting into the fridge. He used to come and get me when he got up, but not anymore. My husband has been sleeping on the couch so he could listen for him, but the past 2 mornings he didnt hear Dominic. Yesterday i found him with frosting all over his face from eating a piece of left over birthday cake and so last night i put a gate up and told my oldest son to call for me if he needed to use the bathroom. Dom climbed over the gate and went into the kitchen and dumped out the nesquick powder mix all over the floor. I was thinking about using a child-proof handle for the door nob....my older son can open the door, but i dont think Dom could. I was also thinking about putting bells on the door nob....i dont want him to get into something dangerous. I have 3 other boys and i am usually up 2 or 3 times a night with the baby to nurse, but he only comes out in the early morning so far. Any suggestions are welcome.......thanks:)

team21

Asked by team21 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think the childproof door knobs are great. i use them here in my home. you can also try the child proof cabinet thing's. i had those too and they are very helpful as far as not letting kids get into things they shouldn'tbe getting in to. I'm not too sure what they have for a fridge but maybe some sort of lock??

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'd also start with the doorknob protector. That's what we use for our 3 yr old who is entirely too adventurous.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011