Does anybody think MTV glorifies Teen Moms?

While I think the programme is educating in that it shows how hard it is to be a teen mom, I do think Women out there think Oh I get pregnant maybe I can be a star to. What about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Entertainment

• I'm sure some ppl think that but for the most part I see a lot of those teen moms on that show crying, fight w/ boyfriends, losing friend and ties w/ family, struggling to get to school/work. So I think in someways it shows the hardships and hopefully some of them will take that thought w/ them.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Nope.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Only for the ones on the show... I think outsiders get a good look in but the girls on the show are being 'rewarded' with fame and cash for their participation.
    Anonymous

• I think if a young girl goes out and gets pregnant, and her excuse is she wanted fame and money on MTV, then she was going to end up pregnant young, regardless of the reasons why. Someone who finds themselves facing teen pregnancy tends to be more scared and overwhelmed then thinking to themselves "sweet, now I get a tv show". That's not a normal thought process for anyone. I love the show, I think it shows the reality of the decision to have sex, and the sometimes unwanted outcome of pregnancy, and the struggles these girls go through. But it also gives hope. It shows that although its difficult, and may not be the path you wanted, its not life ending, and you can overcome the circumstances and thrive. Many young moms kill their baby or abandon it because they think there's no way out, and I believe teen mom shows these girls although its not easy, there is in fact a "way out" and you can do it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My DD says she has seen message boards where girls talk about how rich and famous they will be once they get pregnant and land a spot on that MTV show.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 7:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

And those girls are lacking intelligence, because in reality its not gonna happen. And thus my point they're probably the ones who are going to end up pregnant young regardless of the reason because they're lacking the smarts not to in the first place. If you're trying to get pregnant young for a tv show, or to keep a guy, or any of the illogical reasons we often hear from these girls, then harsh reality isn't going to help them. They're gonna have to learn the hard way no matter what.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• yes it glorifies it. these girls are getting to hang out with other celebrities. Girls do not see how hard it is. I asked my little sister what she thought of the show and she was like "oh I think it is cute" so the message does not come across as life is difficult. My sister is 16.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 11:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well they are making 6 figures so its hard to believe they are hurting as bad as they claim.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think it send out the wrong message.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think that it doesn't glorify it, but tries to act as a deterrent to young girls who may or may not be thinking about doing the same thing. I know that if I had seen this as a teenager it would have been a big deterrant for me. I mean look at what all they go through, give up, and sacrifice. This show actually makes me appreciate that I got to be a teenager when I did.
    midge0618

Answer by midge0618 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011