My son is 20 pounds overweight how can I help him?

A couple of weeks ago i received a letter from the school that said that my 6 year old is overweight today I went to the doctor and he told me the same thing.Obesity runs in my family so I'm worry the Dr. told me no more cookies or candy but I barely buy that stuff and since my DH and I are dieting we give him vegetables from our meals too we also eat whole grain wheat bread or pasta and I usually don't cook pasta we go to the YMCA at least 3 times a week and play basketball with him the Dr. also told me to make him exercise every day walk or something how when it's cold? I'm looking for ideas on how to make him eat better than we already are and help him do some exercise without being to hard on him... if you know how please tell me....

JPAJsmom

Asked by JPAJsmom at 5:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get him to join some sort of organized sports to get him moving and burn some claories off.

Answer by older at 5:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• *calories*

• Only purchase healthy foods for him to have access to. Lots of fruits and veggies. And get him active
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Id have blood work done to find out IF he has any vitamin deffiencies. Some ppl have a slow metab and he may just be one of them. Do what youre doing as far as food and exercise. Maybe enroll him in Karate or some other "fun" form of exercise. Do your best to stay away from sugars and other high calorie foods. Buy a diet book or try a specific diet. The zone is a great one! Id also try the Belly FAt diet. There is a book for it and its amazing. Some little tips from that book would be....boil chicken instead of sauteeing or baking, cut all of your sauces with chicken broth, and try more turkey! I love turkey meatloaf and turkey tacos. They taste exactly the same!! If you cant come to a comfortable diet/eating style then get him a child nutritionist. Im sure they can lead you in the right direction. Good luck!!

Also...Try out some sugar free options. LIke sodas and yogarts and such.....NEVER go with anything that says Diet.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If the YMCA has a swimming pool classes have him join that.  Cut the portions back on the breads and pasta.  Have him drink just water with his meals. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• well what would be a typical daily menu look like for him?
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It sounds like you have a good start. Maybe up the days at the Y to 4 or 5 days. Think about a wii or X-Box kinect as a bonus at home.Serve smaller portions that way he can go for seconds without adding to many extra calories. Keep in mind things like frozen berries and sorbet make good treats. It may be cold but that shouldn't keep him inside all the time. Bundle him up and send him out to play even if it's only for 30 min.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• BTW I dont recommend soda lol Im just saying that there are a lot of sugar free foods and drinks out there!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• if you have a wii that'sa great way to get kids active. there is also a new game called nickelodeon fit for kids and it has like nick jr. characterson it. maybe that can help. as far as foods, sounds like you all are already doing a great job with cutting out all the junk food but don't let him drink any soda. have him drink more water. good luck to your lil boy and good job on trying to help him :)

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• More fruits and veggies, more lean meats (rather than fatty), salads are great but watch what you put on them. (Dressings are the culprit.) If he's not active, have bloodwork done. Could be a number of things. If you serve pasta, one cup is the normal serving suggestion. Mix veggies in with it. Keep bread to one slice a day. Broiled fish is good. Stir-fry or steam veggies. Rice is better than pasta. Sugar-free desserts or candies (Sparingly). Be careful, tho, too much Sorbital will give the runs. Count calories and fat grams. Try to keep the fat grams at 9 or less for dinner. Make sure he has three meals a day plus healthy snacks. If you skip meals, you tend to eat more at the next meal. Peanut butter on apples is great and good for him. Peanut butter on celery is good, too, just fill the cavity or give him a small bowl and let him dip the stick.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 6:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011