What will they do to determine whether my son has autism or not?

Tests? MRI's? Questionaire? or what? I have done the questionaires online and those symptoms strongly resembles those of ADHD.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My son is considered mild to moderate Asperger's. He was diagnosed at 5.5 by a Autism specialist I started noticing he was 'different' around age 3 but looking back it was before then. My DH was not on board with my wanting him tested until he was kicked out of Karate class and I put my foot down and said I was taking him whether he liked it or not. We spent 3 hours with the psychologist filling out questionnaires, discussing his development and answering questions. Since this was my first child there were things he asked about I never noticed or payed any attention to. My son has significant delays in visual motor skills this effects his handwriting terribly and also makes him a little clumsy. We were on the line as to whether it was severe adhd or mild autism for a year before diagnosis. They can look similar at times.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• hi i have an autistic son hes 7. We fig out something was dif with him when he was around 6 months but it didnt really start pointing towards autism til he was in daycare round 3 we saw sev. regular drs and they thought he was adhd when he started public scool for kindergarden we told our concerns to the teacher who in turn told the school phsycologist who then evaluated him and gave us our school diagnosis of autism no in order for treatment outside of school u have to get a diagnosis from a dr. which is hard where i live idk bout where u live just call ur phd and they can lead you in the right direction. I do know that MRIs and things isnt how they determine it they just watch and see how they react to dif things and stuff like that nothing invasive. hope that helps good luck :)
    Hbabygirl476

Answer by Hbabygirl476 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It will be a lot of questions and answers form you. Looking at every ting from early development to social interactions. They will want to watch your child and talk with them and depending on the child age they may give and IQ test. There is no real 'test' for Autism, just a collection of red flags That point in that direction.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• You need to find a good behavioural specialist. Go from there. There are so many spectrums of autism so you need to find a great recommended dr to help you. GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thank you.
    I see red flags in alot of things and I just don't want him to be misdiagnosed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011