Any ideas on how to break a fever?

My son has a fever of 102 that I can't seem to break (or atleast not for very long). I've done of the cool bath, children's ibuprofen, cold wash cloth on his forehead (which he HATED lol). Any other ideas? Thanks.

NatesMommy118

Asked by NatesMommy118 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Health

• Alternate Ibuprophen and Tylenol every 3 hours. Tepid bath. Wash rag. NO socks. Keep him cool!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Fevers are not a bad thing. It means he is fighting something. It it goes on for over four days then call the doctor.
    Anonymous

• Also be sure to give him pedialite or gatorade. If he is dehydrated then do salts. Like soups and crackers and such. Salt is important to help him retain water
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i know it sounds crazy but if you cut a potato in half and put each half on the bottom of his feet, the potato sucks up all the heat. i have tried this and it works. you might also want to put him in less clothes and don't cover him up with any blankets. if he says he is cold use a sheet cover. keep trying the wash cloth. my dd hates when i use that on her as well but it helps. good luck and hope your ds gets well soon.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• A trick I've learned, the feet seem to have some control over body temperature. If you're hot and you put your feet in a bucket of cold water it will cool you off. Or if you're cold and you put your feet in a bucket of warm-hot water it will warm you up. I know this works for regular body temps but I haven't tried it for fever yet. It might help, give it a try. I hope he gets better soon.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Alternate tylenol and ibuprofen every 3-4 hours, push fluids, warm baths, etc. Hope he feels better soon!!
    Mommyto2LilMen

Answer by Mommyto2LilMen at 1:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2011