Training a new puppy

I'm trying to help train my parents' 7-8ish week old maltipoo puppy, but she's sooo hyper. She won't keep still for longer than half a second. I've trained my other puppies basic commands like sit, stay, lay down, shake hands, etc. But I think they were a little older. Is it too soon to start training these tricks? Or is there some kind of trick I don't know about to get the pup to calm down? Thanks

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 6:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Pets

• I don't think it is too early to start, but I think it will take a while for the tricks/commands to sink in. I agree with taking them for a walk or playing fetch for a little while to calm them down first.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Yes i would say it is.. i love maltipoo's. i have poodles, maltese, cockers, poms , dashunds and beagles. i dont teach them anything like that. i dont like to tell them what to do. lol no one tells me when to sit. but i think it is a good idea you do. i just can't make myself make them do it. lol
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No. They're actually four months older than the recommended start time. I would say take them for a decent walk first to burn off some excess energy. That allows them to focus better. Or if it's too cold try a treadmill or just throwing the ball for a long time until they start to tire out.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No, it isn't too early to start training. Some dogs take more repetitions to learn than others. Start with the basics of sit and stay and the tricks will be easier to teach once they understand you are actually trying to get somewhere. Paw is the easiest to train in my opinion, use a toy and get them batting at it, then switch over to the actual cue and response. Also use a lead to help keep them in place. Usually the behaviors are easier to train than the focus and attention, but to have a well trained pet it is ALL about the focus and attention!

Good luck-sounds like fun!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2011