Do u think it is inappropriate for 10 and 11 year old siblings of different sex to still share the same bedroom ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes I do. At that age, they need privacy and different things are starting to happen w/ their bodies.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think sometimes it can't be helped. There are ways around the 'embarrassing' parts. Dressing in the bathroom, partitions between beds and separate places to keep things. It is ideal? No. Does it happen out of necessity? Sure it does. As long as they aren't sharing a bed, I see no problem.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i'm pretty sure it's illegal in mo, dss can make you move them out of the room. my dh's sister was told that once her son was in regular school he needed to have his own room away from his older sisters
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes I do! Kids begin to explore their changing bodies at this age and should be given the privacy to do so. Wet dreams and all that 'fun" stuff should be happening at anytime. Embarrassing! Sharing a room is hard enough, but with a sibling of the other gender, it's gonna make things really weird for them.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It's only inappropriate in our society, and only has been for about 20 years.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No I wouldn't have my children sleeping in the same room at that age.  But say a death or something to that effect happens.  If that's the way it has to be, that's the way it has to be.  I wouldn't be ashamed and I would still be grateful.  I have a 5 year old, 3 year old, 1 year old, and a boy on the way.  My oldest is a boy, my middle 2 are girls.  They shared a room until this year.  I decided that I wanted to decorate and do different stuff for them and that took seperating.  Now I am EXTREMELY happy that I did it.  Their rooms are so much more nicer and I feel accomplished.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'm not sure. My brother and I shared a room...until I was 7 (putting him at 12).
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Inappropriate? No.....
    Ideal? Of courese not.....
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 1:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Yes it is not cool. When I was about 12 I had to share a room with my older brother for about 10 months while we were waiting for our house to be built. I was no fun and I hated it. It was a two bedroom apt. and my parents did give us the larger room, but it was awful.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• No I don't. Next year my oldest 2 will be 11 and 10 (girl and boy) and I wouldn't have a problem with them sharing a room. They've shared a room off and on since they were preschool age. My son only recently got his own room. The last few years he shared with his younger sister (who is 13 months younger) and most of that was also with the older sister. Sometimes one or the other girls (we also have an almost 5yo girl) will sleep in his room with him.
    They've been sharing rooms for so long they don't see anything wrong with it and neither do I.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011