How do you get a 4 year old to quit being so whinny?

My 4 year old daughter has just recently decided that she wants to whine at everything I ask or tell her to do. Along with the whinning comes not listening. Any Ideas to get her to stop?

CamoCutie88

Asked by CamoCutie88 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No clue - but when you find the answer, PLEASE let me know!! =) My 4 year old has just decided to start doing this too. Not liking it at all! I can handle just about anything, but not the whining!!! (And not listening).
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• gosh i wish i knew how to stop my son's, he's four too. sometimes i make him have quiet time in his bed for twenty minutes until he's calmed down. sometimes the whines are meltdowns after i get after him about doing this or that. i don't spank for whining though.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My daughter is the same way!! Its aweful some days lol. I first get to her level and be firm. Let her know that her behaviour is not ok and if she needs something then she has to ask politely. Then I just ignore the behaviour. IF she is unhappy and wants to throw a tanrtum out of tiredness or frustration then I walk away and let her get it out. Do your best not to give into to her controlling ways. BC most of the time thats all its about. GL and know that Im int he same damn boat!! LOL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• lol.. learn to tune some of it out. my dd is the same way. it's just part of their growing up.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 6:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I am not sure, I think it is the age! Perhaps a time out?
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Try a whining jar. Put about a dozen pennies or nickels in a jar and tell her every time she whines you will take one out. Whatever is left in the jar at the end of the day she gets to keep for her piggy bank. I did this for my sons and it really worked because it helped them become more aware of their whining. In the beginning I would give them one warning before taking the coin by saying something like "What is that squeaky sound that is hurting my ears? Are you whining?" Good luck!
    Audracat

Answer by Audracat at 4:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2011